Best seller/Which version?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I got some good advice from here last year when I bought my Mac, so I thought I would come back for more.

I want to get a iPad for web browsing, mail, apps, music, and doing research for work. My question is: which level of memory will suffice? Do I need to get the wifi + 3G version?

Also, do most of you go through the Apple store?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As far as storage goes, it entirely depends on how much of it you think you might end up using, if you're going to have a lot of apps and music, then the bigger the storage the better..if you can limit your usage of those, then the smaller will work..

As far as Wifi + 3G goes, depends on where you'll be using the iPad..if primarily in an area where you'll always have WiFi access, then the answer is clear..if you'll need to travel to places with it and can't assume WiFi access, the +3G version might make sense..the 3G plan for 250 MB is like $15.99/mo or so..

Regards

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. So if I get just the Wifi there's no monthly fee?

Do those of you without the 3G find it's hard to pick up a signal?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes..the WiFi has no monthly fee since you're just using whatever WiFi is accessible to you..

For 3G, you are using the AT&T service (in the US), so wherever you have AT&T service, so will the iPad..

Regards

C

chas_m

Let's be clear: there's no *required* monthly fee on either version.

With the 3G + WiFi version, you have the *option* of signing up for a 3G data plan or (in the US) on a pay-as-you-go prepaid option that doesn't require a contract or regular commitment.

The WiFi only version doesn't have that option built-in, but it can be "simulated" with the help of third-party "MyFi" type devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
There are fees for wifi at lots of places like

hotels. It is definitely not all free. I find 3g priceless but I travel. If you never leave your neighborhood and that around your work, wifi only would be fine. Until, that is, you needed 3G. If you don't have it you don't have it.

As to storage space - can one ever have too much? Pretty clear for me at 64 gig which I will fill within a year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.