MBP Startup/Disk Utility issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4 RAM/ 500 HD(snow), PM G4 12", MB 13" 4 RAM/ 320 HD(snow), iPhone 1st Gen & 3Gs.
Hello Mac'ers,

I need some advice from you all-

I'm working on getting my new [pre-owed] MBP (1.4.8) set back up. I purchased it knowing there was some problems with it, but figured it was too good of a deal to pass up.

From what I've been informed the MBP was in perfect working order (and I truly in my heart think she was honest), the previous owner tried to reset the computer to default settings but jacked up the settings in doing so, as she prepared it for sale. She showed me what she did and showed me the current status. I went ahead and gave her cash, and here I sit.

Current status:

The MBP will not startup normally, only that flashing folder with a "?".
I can open the MBP with the limited control using a Install disk, but cannot do much else at this point.

Under the UTILITIES >Startup Disk , there is only the install disk I put in it and Network Startup, there is no HD.

Whats odd, and leads me to believe that the HD is not crashed (as she said it worked fine just a bit ago), is under Disk Utility the HD and her HD-Volume (with her name still on it) is visible. If I select the Verify or Repair all is well, no errors.

She said she tried to erase her name somewhere in this area and thats when the computer started the flashing folder.

How do I get the HD back in the Startup?

I have attempted almost every option for starting up and holding keys, and I have DiskWarrior but it wont do any good if I cant get the system to open up without the Install disk in the drive.

Help Please/Thank you.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
The flashing ? symbol in the folder means it can't find the OS, usually it means that there is a problem with the OS, if there are no files of yours on it I would just go ahead and format the HD and re-install the OS from the install disc.
Alternatively (and hopefully not) it could mean the HD is damaged and you need a new one.
I would try the first option though

- Simon

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4 RAM/ 500 HD(snow), PM G4 12", MB 13" 4 RAM/ 320 HD(snow), iPhone 1st Gen & 3Gs.
Your right, that computer cant find the OS, that is where the problem resides. I cant continue with the setup of the Install disk at this point. To reformat the HD in Disk Utility what should I do at this point, I just want to be extra carful in this since this is where she was messing around and messed something up.

The Format is currently: Mac OS Extended
should this be Journaled instead?

Thanks Simon!

mail.jpeg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I cant continue with the setup of the Install disk at this point
What do you mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you mean you don't know how....

-Boot from the install disc holding C while booting until you see the spinning gear.
-Select language and click next.
-Select utilities>disk utility in the menu bar (this takes a few seconds to appear).
-Select the HD at the top of the list on the left.
-Click erase tab.
-Format Mac Os Extended (Journaled).
-Name Macintosh HD.
-Click erase.
-Quit disk utility menu, and continue with installation.

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done the above, however; when I go choose which disk to startup in, the only options are the Install disk or Network, there is no icon for the hard drive. What can I do to get this back in there? Is there something within the Disk Utility that she might have done to get this not to show up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean have done the above?

You start up from the install disc holding C, and follow the rest of the procedure erasing and reinstalling OS X.
When the installation is complete, then the Mac restarts, you enter your password, and it starts from the HD.

If there was a startup disk with an OS on it, you would hold option instead of C when booting, and then the HD would show up as an option.
I am guessing that you have tried this and there isn't one.
This is why we are erasing and reinstalling OS X.

If you can boot holding option and select the Macintosh HD, you are good to go.

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Forgive me, I looked at the disk I was given, it is a 10.5.2 (Oh its a Monday). If this system is a 10.4.8 this might be the main reason this is not working. I own a stash of random disks that have accumulated over the years but the closest is 10.4 tiger. Without obtaining the install 10.4.8, there is no way to get around this since I erased the HD and Volume already?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seeing that it is an intel Mac, and that even the oldest MBP will meet the min requirements as long as it has enough RAM, I would just go and get retail snow leopard for $29.

An Apple computer with an Intel Processor
1GB of Memory (RAM)
5GB of hard drive space (Storage)
DVD drive for installation

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was my original thought, I have Snow Leopard but when I try and boot with that I get a message that says: This disc requires that Mac OS X 10.5 or later already be installed on your computer. If you want to restore your system from Time Machine backup, click Restore From Backup.

The only other option at this point is to restart.

Which puts me back to 101.

With all of this done, something in the Utilities has to be off, no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need the retail version... is this what you have?

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is indeed*, I used this on my desk top and MB.

*It came from the university where I'm going to grad school, so it says not for resale on a sticker of the cover, and it only cost 15.

Would that matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... you shouldn't be using the disc for an install on more than one machine, even though it should work!

Anyway, it seems there is something definitely not going right.

Since you get the option to restore from backup, I would backup one of your other Macs with time machine onto an external HD, and then select the restore from backup option on the MBP, and see if you have any luck there.
If you do, then hopefully this will have rectified whatever the problem is, and then you should be able to start from scratch and perform a clean install if you wish to start over.

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I failed to mention that I do not have Time Machine. I want a clean start on this, I would rather have a start on this vs. someone else's clutter.

I dont own a external HD but I'll see what I can do, thats a good idea to try. I let you know how it goes...

Thanks for your quick responses today Simon !

OP
muecyl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as a FYI (I did buy two copies) however, I had to fib to the school a tad since they only allows one copy per year, so I'm still not 100% ethical but better? ;D

photo.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.