Wireless Network

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Not knowing where to put this question, I have place it here. If it needs to be moved feel free to place it where it belongs. :)

So here is the question: I currently have a Linksys EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router. Connected to this router I have a G3 powerMac and a Powerbook or a thinkpad. I looking at go wireless for the three laptops I have. My wife iBook will get a airport card. Since there is problem with reception with the original Ti Powerbook, and I also have Thinkpad (i have to use in order to connect to company's intranet), I am looking for a PCI wireless card to share between the Thinkpad and Ti Powerbook.

So do I get the Linksys Dual-Band 2.4GHz Wireless A+G Broadband Router with 4-Port Switch or the AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port). I am looking at the Apple because of the usb port which I can share my usb printer from all computer.

Would I replace my old router with the new or do I plug the old router into the new. The only hardware that would connect via wire is the G3 Powerbook, the remaining laptops would use wireless network cards.

Which PCI network card would be useable by both the thinkapd and the powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Im not sure what the answer is, but I have a question of my own..

What problems are there with the reception of the original Powerbooks?

I have a 667 and I don't seem to have any problems...

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The metal case has an affect on the range of reception. I have read that if you take out the battery and rub the side inside of the battery case. It will increase the range a bit.

If I use a PCI card I can move it from my work thinkpad PC to my powerbook (don't my company will purchase the card), plus I think it would get better reception since the antenna is outside the case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Quite interesting... although when I don't even have my battery in and just running off of electricity.. I guess that doesnt matter much? or does it? hmm.. That definitely gives me something to think about. iPulse says I have 65-87% connectivity and the router is sitting about a foot and a half away.. Ill have to mess with that now that I know :) Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.