1st Gen Ipod Touch broken headphone jack?

Reaction score
I've had my 1st Gen iPod Touch for 2.5 years now and it's been working perfectly fine until this morning. Out of the blue, the headphone jack decided to stop working. I've tried on multiple headphones and have made sure I plugged it in all the way through, but the sound is still not working. What happens is the sound does not play fully until I push or twist the headphone jack to the left really hard.

This problem is not unheard of in iPods and it appears to be an issue with the soldering. I have already tried methods such as using a q-tip with alcohol, and I have gotten no results. Dust and rust is not the problem here.

2 main questions:

1) Is there anything else I can do, or is my iPod touch just pretty paperweight?

2) If I take this item into an Apple Store, what is the likelihood an Apple employee will offer me a discount on a brand new iPod Touch or iPod Nano? If he does, how much of a discount do you think I will receive. If anyone has any experience with this particular experience, please answer with details.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think you're going to be offered a discount or trade in on your 1st generation Touch. About the only suggestion you'll get from the Apple store is to buy a new one. So, why not repair it yourself? Go here and see if you're up to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.