Relocate a picture in iPhoto

Reaction score
How can i relocate a picture in iPhoto ? I have imported a picture and then i changed the directory ( the new dir is in the same library but in different folder). I can see the thumbnail but i can not open it because iPhoto can't find it. I want to "tell" to the program that i changed the dir like we do in iTunes with the "locate" option.

C

chas_m

Are you trying to say that you moved the iPhoto Library package to another drive? Or are you talking about a single image?

Please tell me you didn't go mucking around inside the iPhoto library package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP - am I guessing right that you did not actually copy the photo to iPhoto (ie in preferences - Advanced -'Copy items to iphoto library ' is left unchecked) but left original in a folder on your hard drive separate from iPhoto (this is what I do). If you have moved original location then iPhoto will be looking there so either (a) reimport it or (b) but photo back to original location.

OP
T
Reaction score
For example in my iPhoto library i have two events: CARS , BIKES.

I went to the directory of the X picture which was in the folder CARS and moved it the folder BIKES (through FINDER)

old: ...iphotolibrary/originals/2010/cars
new: ...iphotolibrary/originals/2010/bikes

Then i open iPhoto and from the event cars i open picture X and cannot open which is wright. but i want to "tell" to the program that the file now is in the new directory like we do in iTunes.

Anyway i think that we can't do it, so i reimport the pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Ah! So you used Finder to move photos in your iPhoto library. THIS IS A BIG NO-NO as every post on this topic will tell you. So yes, re-import and count it as a lesson learnt.

C

chas_m

iPhoto works great **IF** you leave its organizational structure ALONE. Once you mess with it, you're on a path to data loss and frustration. So don't.

Everything you want to do in iPhoto *has* to be done within iPhoto. And can be, just ask if you can't work it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.