ram card issue in macbook a1181

Reaction score
hello, mac-forums.This is my very first post ever,in any kind of forum,so please be considerate of this.Im also new to mac as of this month.anyways just bought a 2 gb ddr2 667mhz pc5300 ram card,it works great in either slot...i was previously running a 1gb of the same specs from a old lenovo machine i had around.The 1gb also runs fine in either slot...when i combine them i just get a black screen w/ the front (sleep) light on. Im sure their seated correctly. my machine should read 4 gb and adress 3gb? I think it may have to do with the sticks not matching.i also tried a lynx 1gb pc6400 from my dell inspiron w/ the same results.Thanks so much for all your time, once again sorry if im unclear, im new at this.Any advice would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Which version of Mac is it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook model a1181 is an early 2008 model and can accept up to 4 GB of memory. However, it's best to install the modules in pairs of the same type.

Make sure the memory you purchase is of good quality. The module you bought is the correct one for your machine but it seems mixing it with the 1 GB module doesn't work. Don't combine it with the module from the Lenovo PC. Buy another 2 GB module of the same type as the first and use that instead to give you a total of 4 GB.

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks

its a white pre uni-body macbook a1181, manufactured in oct 2006 i believe. Its running snow leapord 10.6.5.Thats the only conclusion i came to too,it must not work with the mismatched 1 gb ram card. Like I said im not very familiar w/mac as of yet...Thanks alot for your all of your advice

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read my reply to you? Just follow the advice I gave you. And, BTW, your MacBook "a1181" is listed as an early 2008 white MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.