I need to upgrade, but would like advise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz 1.25 GB RAM
In 1999 I purchased my first Mac, the Powerbook G3 Lombard. The purchase of my first digital camera in 2005 and iLife really pushed me to upgrade. So in 2005 I purchased my current laptop a Powerbook G4 12". I think it's time to upgrade again, but I really don't need a lot so I'm asking for your advise please.

My Powerbook won't sync with my wife's new iPod (I'm using iTunes 9) and is having issues with my iPhone 4. I know that I need to upgrade to OS 10.5 or higher and with that, need the Intel processor. I use my computer for personal email, iPhoto, iTunes, browsing the internet, and school - working on my masters.

So I was considering buying a 2.4 GHz Black Macbook, used that's in good condition. I can pick one of these up for about 500-600 dollars. I kinda figure it's all I really need. In fact, if it wasn't for the iTunes 10 upgrade I probably wouldn't upgrade for another few years. Does everyone think this would suit my needs now and for years to come? Or, should I just suck it up and spend the money to get a brand new machine?

Thanks for the advise,

Rob

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First things first, you can upgrade to Leopard (10.5) on that machine and run iTunes 10 if you want to extend the life of your current machine. It won't be particularly fast, but it will work for your modest needs.

The black MacBooks went out of production in 2008, if I remember correctly. So, you'd be buying a 3-year-old machine and of course, at that point, you can easily run into little snags like bad fans and other moving parts. If you feel comfortable with the potential for problems, that may be worth the cost savings over a new machine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
MB is fine for your computing needs.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First things first, you can upgrade to Leopard (10.5) on that machine and run iTunes 10 if you want to extend the life of your current machine.

Really? I stopped into the Apple Store some time back and then called Apple Customer Svs just last week inquiring about this very thing. They both stated that I couldn't upgrade because it was a G4. Maybe they're confused or there was a misunderstanding. I'll go and start reading...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA-

Did some reading and you're right. Gonna look at upgrading. I keep my machine, all problems are known, and aside from the iTunes issue I'm working just fine. Thanks! You just saved me some cash!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
CWA-

Did some reading and you're right. Gonna look at upgrading. I keep my machine, all problems are known, and aside from the iTunes issue I'm working just fine. Thanks! You just saved me some cash!

Yeah, they may have been confused. You can *not* upgrade to 10.6 (it's Intel only), but 10.5 should be fine.

The hardest thing about going to 10.5 is that it's no longer being produced and you're going to need a *retail* version of it. Be careful with eBay because a lot of sellers are peddling the gray system discs and they're machine-specific. What you need is the black disc with the big 'X' logo on it.

And since there's a lot of pent-up demand for it for older machines like yours, the prices of used discs are often fairly high. You may want to call Apple directly and see if you can purchase a retail copy from them. It may be cheaper than going used.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looked on eBay and a few other sites and it's running anywhere between 139-201. Called Apple and will have it at my house on Wednesday for 129 including some free Cyber Monday shipping. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.