best streaming option?

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of buying ATV2 but I'm not sure my wireless network will cope with streaming so could do with abit of advice as regards the best way to configure my setup.

I'd like to use my redundant G4 1.25 to stream content from iTunes to ATV but my wireless connection to this computer is pretty poor with just the Airport Express. Is signal strength still important given that I'll only be streaming locally?

If so, I'm guessing my other options are to buy a second Airport Express to boost the signal or go the next step and get the Airport Extreme basestation?

Cheers for any help

iMac 3.06 Intel OSX10.6
iBook G4 OSX10.5
G4 Power Mac 1.25 MDD OSX10.5
Airport Express
DLink ADSL router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You need the streaming devices and your router to support 802.11n in order to get the best quality experience. Anything less than "n" speeds and you could experience dropping, stuttering, or lower quality.

Reaction score
Thanks schweb that's very helpful :)

Do you know of any problems streaming from iTunes in osx 10.5?

No Issues with 10.5. As stated above, it's all about your network setup, You can hardwire the Apple TV to your network (it has an RJ45 port), I had to ditch my Dlink G Router do to shuttering and lag on the Apple TV, an AirPort Extreme resolved all my issues

Reaction score
Your broadband provider probably offers options for upload and download speeds. Increasing the download speed would help too.

I have a N router and connect to my ATV2 via wifi with a 35 down 20 up from Verizon's Fios service. Absolutely seemless. You do not know its coming off the internet vs from the cable box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Your broadband provider probably offers options for upload and download speeds. Increasing the download speed would help too.

I have a N router and connect to my ATV2 via wifi with a 35 down 20 up from Verizon's Fios service. Absolutely seemless. You do not know its coming off the internet vs from the cable box.

Streaming from a Mac to your Apple TV wouldn't be affected at all by your internet speed, that's completely determined by your LAN speed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay, looks like the wife will be getting an airport extreme router for xmas instead of perfume.

Thanks again for the help chaps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.