cdma iphone verses gsm?

Reaction score

I know its not official or may never happen but am curious so!

whats the difference between cdma and what the I think its called gsm or gsa excuse my ignorance of correct term.

next will the iphone work the same on verizon using cdma or even possibly the new LTE 4G as opposed to what the at&T Iphone version uses?

I figured those of you that really get into the tech side of things would be able to shead some light on this for me.

thanks in advance for any clarity on this for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
moved to the correct forum...

I know its not official or may never happen but am curious so!

whats the difference between cdma and what the I think its called gsm or gsa excuse my ignorance of correct term.

I'd search Wikipedia on the definitions for CDMA and GSM. That will tell you the difference.

next will the iphone work the same on verizon using cdma or even possibly the new LTE 4G as opposed to what the at&T Iphone version uses?

No one can tell you at this point. There's not even definitive proof that the CDMA iPhone is going to Verizon. It could be for one of the many Asian CDMA carriers.

Your question will only be answered once Verizon announces they're carrying it and what that means.

Reaction score
There are a couple of glaring differences you'd notice between an AT&T iPhone and a theoretical Verizon iPhone.
I'll confine my answers to the current Verizon CDMA technology, rather than hypothesizing on the operation of future enhancements, the technical specs of which I'm not familiar.
Furthermore, I'm confining my answers to 3G vs. 3G service.

Verizon's network will not allow you to access the internet while you are on a phone call. It remains to be seen whether you can receive a text while on a call, or receive an incoming call while doing an internet intensive activity.

Verizon's 3G speed is slower than AT&T's. Over 60% slower, according to PC World's test: AT&T faster than Verizon, Sprint in 3G wireless performance test - USATODAY.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verizon's network will not allow you to access the internet while you are on a phone call. It remains to be seen whether you can receive a text while on a call, or receive an incoming call while doing an internet intensive activity.

This is mostly not going to be the case. Verizon is already upgrading their CDMA network to allow for both voice and data at the same time (SVDO) and have already begun deployment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Verizon has also begun the roll out of their 4G LTE Network too. Granted it's in only a few places and widespread coverage will take sometime but it's a start. Doesn't really mean much yet.

Even more amusing though is T-Mo's so called 4G network. It's even more limited that Verizon's 4G network, heck you can't even get 3G on T-Mo in lots of places in SoCal yet even.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Verizon has also begun the roll out of their 4G LTE Network too. Granted it's in only a few places and widespread coverage will take sometime but it's a start. Doesn't really mean much yet.

Even more amusing though is T-Mo's so called 4G network. It's even more limited that Verizon's 4G network, heck you can't even get 3G on T-Mo in lots of places in SoCal yet even.

The sad thing is though that T-Mo's "4G" network, isn't even really 4G, it's just enhanced 3G (like what AT&T is rolling out)...but it's faster than Verizon's 4G LTE.

That's sad for Verizon.

I never really had any issues with T-Mobile's coverage anywhere I traveled when I had them. I'd actually love to switch back to them if/when they get the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I never really had any issues with T-Mobile's coverage anywhere I traveled when I had them. I'd actually love to switch back to them if/when they get the iPhone.

I know a number of folks who have dumped T-Mo here because they couldn't get service in such places as: Inside their homes, Inside of stores, Inside of their place of work, well....you get the picture...

Reaction score
Well, technically, neither Verizon's LTE or T-Mobile's new service are actually "4G" by the international standard.

Its just another in a string of Buzz words they're trying to confuse consumers with instead of sticking with the truth

Reaction score
AT&T is also rolling out LTE, not as fast as Verizon is, but its still out there. It will take a long time for each carrier to get LTE to most of the customers, so its going to be a big waiting game for many.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.