no firewire...

Reaction score
So I am sure there are already a ton of threads on this topic but I didn't want to take time to look for it, but my questions are all about fire wire or lack thereof. Is there anyway to get firewire on my computer? If so, how practical would it be to get it? are there any fire wire to usb adapters? I am reading that firewire is better in some aspects and there are somethings (interfaces, hard drives...) that take only firewire.... Are the pros of firewire even worth considering? Anything else you think I should know? Obviously, you don't have to answer every question... I just needed some feedback!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the specs on your Mac? Without those it will be impossible to help.

There is no Firewire to USB and if there were, USB 2.0 would hold back Firewire and eliminate any speed benefits of it.

Give us a bit more info please.

OP
F
Reaction score
13 inch macbook pro
Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Version 10.5.8

Is this enough info?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You sure it's a MacBook Pro? From my searching an 13" MBP never never had a 2.0Ghz C2D. If it's a MBP and not a MacBook it does have Firewire built in.

OP
F
Reaction score
Maybe your right, under "about this mac" then "more info" it just says MacBook under model name.... it has an aluminum case which I assumed only came with the pros....
So no hope of firewire?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What you have is the Macbook Aluminium.
Unfortunately this came without firewire, which is a flaw in that model, as well as the latest Macbooks!
This is one of the reasons I recommend 13" MBPs when people ask whether to go for the MB or MBP.

So no hope of firewire?
Nope :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) - Technical Specifications

Macbook Aluminum. Had no Firewire port. When my local Apple store opened 2 years back it was brand new and I messed with one. My only complaint was no FW Port.

There is no way I know of to add Firewire to that machine. Sorry. I came very close to purchasing one at the time and that was the reason I did not. the 13" MBP is not that much more and has FW800.

Looks like 6String beat me to it! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Looks like 6String beat me to it! :D Grin

Made my morning coffee a little too strong and sweet.... have over a dozen browser windows open now :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.