question mark at start up/ damaged disc drive

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro was knocked off my couch and the case at the disc drive was severely bent. The computer immediately shut off. When I attempted to reboot the question mark came up. The disc drive will no longer accept the boot disc. Is there anyway to bypass this or should I start looking for a new computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the hard drive may have been damaged when the machine was knocked off the couch. It's kind of a bad predicament since in order to test your hard drive, you need to boot the machine from the startup DVD.

You didn't mention which year model MBP you have, but it looks like you may have to replace the case or part of the case if it's not a unibody. The optical drive may have also been damaged - you won't know that until you can get at the drive.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and price out the parts you need. They also have do it yourself instructions.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.