iMac G5 20" Problem - eBay fix?

Reaction score
My iMac G5 20" is on it's last leg. I can still use it in safe mode.

I bought an external hard drive and want to backup my mac so that when I buy a new iMac I'll have all my files and programs.

What is the best way to do this? Disk Utility -> Restore?

When I get my new mac how do I put the programs / files on it from my external hard drive?

OP
U
Reaction score
As a previous post stated, my iMac is on the fritz. I get the below screen if I try to boot up normally. I can boot into safe mode without any issues.

IMG_4950.JPG Picture - Random

I've tried:
1. Archive and Reinstalling OSX
2. Verify and Repairing disc (everything o.k.)
3. Deleting all Login Items
4. Reboot, hold option, command, p, r

I found the below post on eBay that says they fix iMac G5 logic boards. I emailed the guy saying I thought it may be my video card, and he said they fix those for $155. Is it possible to even fix the video card since it's a chip set?

20" iMac G5 Logic Board Repair Service 1.8 and 2.0 GHz - eBay (item 270606605734 end time Dec-09-10 04:14:18 PST)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've merged your two posts together as it makes no sense having them separate when they're related.

Getting any repairs done from someone who advertises on eBay is risky since you have no way of knowing what kind of work they do or if they warrant what they work on.

Since your graphics chipset is integrated on to the logic board, it's not possible to change it out without replacing the entire logic board. And repairing logic boards is best left to the techs at Apple or an authorized Apple repair service center.

The symptom you referred to in the link does look like it may be graphics related. If you're serious about repairing your G5 iMac, you may want to use an authorized Apple repair reseller such as PowerBook Medic. They have an 800 number you can call and speak live with a tech.

The best way to backup your iMac before repairing it is to use a cloning program such as "SuperDuper" or "Carbon Copy Cloner". Both can do the job and you won't lose any data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.