strange thing on my mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6 3.o6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have had my new desktop imac for a few months now, and I love it. Especially since a friend called earlier for me to come work on her window computer AGAIN! Once I got the hang of how easy everything is and quit trying to use it like windows my Mac and I get along fine! Well I was away from my computer long enough for it to go into sleep mode, and when I came back it had a word on the screen in the form of a dictionary entry, that said "unguarded"-" very careless, unprotected, unwise" etc. It said to press D key for more. It looked very suspicious, I had never seen anything but a black screen in sleep mode on my mac before. I did NOT press D key, but am worried as to what this is. The screen was black, with the words in an off white grayish color. Anyone know what this is? And should I be worried about something trying to attack my mac?:\

C

chas_m

Someone with physical access to your Mac made a quick custom screensaver, which anyone can do within a few seconds if so inclined. You should either log out or put a password on your screensaver if you're going to be away from your Mac -- you've got a prankster in the office/house.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6 3.o6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
You are right, I checked my screensaver settings this morning, and someone had changed them. My two grandsons were playing on my mac the other day, one of them being 12 and the other one 11 years old. I don't know if they did it on purpose or accidentally. I just freaked out when I saw the word and immediately thought virus! or something. Comes from the old window days! I was constantly getting malware on my windows machine. Sure is nice to have a mac! Thanks for the advice! It is my home computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... I just freaked out when I saw the word and immediately thought virus! or something. Comes from the old window days!

Indeed. You don't have to worry about that now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.