Accessing photos from another account?

Reaction score
I have 2 accounts on my Macbook, but the other day something went wrong with one of them, and I'm unable to log into that account.
Whenever I try logging in to the messed up account, it just shows a blue screen then brings me back to the log in menu.

Basically, I had some photos on Photobooth, iPhoto, and that Desktop that I would like to retrieve, but sadly I don't know how I can do that if I can't even log in to the other account.
When I try accessing it from the good account I'm using now, it says that I do not have sufficient access privileges.

Does anyone know how I can retrieve these photos using a different account? It would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Hello,

First try repairing the disk permissions,
#1 Insert the Snow Leopard disk (or the one that came with your computer)
#2 Restart the computer and hold down the "c"
key when you hear the startup sound.
#3 Select the language, then in the menubar click under the Utilitie(s) menu I believe click on Disk Utility.
#4 Once disk utility is open, click on the First Aid tab.
#5 Select your HD in the list on the left and click on "Repair Disk". (You may have to click on "Verify Disk" first.)
#6 Once done restart the computer by choosing restart in the Apple menu.

Now if it still doesn't work, recovering the files.
You will need an administrator account for this to work.
#1 Navigate to the folder that you want to recover file from (.ie the Pictures folder) and do command+i to see the folders info.
#2 Now at the very bottom of that window there is a area called "Permissions". Open it if it isn't open yet.
#3 It will say that you have no access to see the files so click the lock in the corner and enter the admin password.
#4 Now you can change the everyone group to read & write or click the "+" and add the administrators group and change the permissions to read & write.
Either way you should have access to that folder now, you can do the same with other folders to recover all the data.

Some other data you might want to recover.

Safari's data is stored in the ~/Library/Safari folder
Mail data is stored in the ~/Library/Mail folder
The AddressBook data is stored in the ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook folder.

Then I would remove that buggy account and make a new one in the accounts pane in System Preferences.
By putting the recovered data into the public folder of your account you can then access it from the other new account without changing any permissions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Your welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.