New Vs Refurbished

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new MBP 13.3 2.4GHz... don't know whether or not to go with the refurb it was looking like a good choice but then i saw a warning thing on the refurb site it said some refurbs have dings and scratches on them... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I am thinking about getting a new MBP 13.3 2.4GHz... don't know whether or not to go with the refurb it was looking like a good choice but then i saw a warning thing on the refurb site it said some refurbs have dings and scratches on them... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?

If you need it now, order it. The refurbs might have dings / scratches, but not all will. Your choice, as to if you can wait for a refurb to ship or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
... if i spend a grand on a comp i kinda want the outside to be perfect ya know? Also I can get the student discount and its only 80 more to get the new one right out of the store rather than waiting for the refurb to be shipped.... any ideas?
I think you have answered your own question. If a new one with your discount is only going to cost you $80 more and you feel that strongly about getting a new looking computer then I don't see where the debate is. I guess it depends on whether that extra $80 means you won't be eating that month. From the way you said it, it doesn't sound like it's going to be a financial burden to pay an extra $80.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I hate to tout the refurb line from Apple it gets old, but I've bought two refurb MBP 13. A 2009 and a 2010. Neither one of them have any scratch, dent, or mark on any exterior surface, including the monitor and keyboard. I think you will be good to go either way, new or refurb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've had the following refurbished Apple products:

Mac Mini
2x MacBook Airs
3x MacBook Pros
1x MacBook Unibody
1x MacBook White
1x iPod Nano
All were without blemishes and were purchased from Apple's own online store in the refurbished section. They seem to take the refurbishment process pretty seriously. Other sources, such as Apple refurbished resellers, I have no experience with.

If I could get an identical new one for $80 more, I personally would keep my $80 and put it into my savings account or maybe put it towards an Applecare Extended Warranty. That's just me though.

Reaction score
I hate to tout the refurb line from Apple it gets old, but I've bought two refurb MBP 13. A 2009 and a 2010. Neither one of them have any scratch, dent, or mark on any exterior surface, including the monitor and keyboard. I think you will be good to go either way, new or refurb.

Same. I've seen nothing short but perfection from Apple's refurb. Given the choice between saving 15% and a new one that I literally can't tell any difference from a refurb, I'd happily keep the 15% in my pocket.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't think a refurb is always the right choice. In my case, the price difference between what I had and what I wanted was enough to cover my restocking fee as well as put a bit over 300 dollars back in my pocket. 80 bucks? As good as the refurbs are, unless it's an exact match of the computer you want, I'm not sure if it's that worth it. You can get some good stuff for your mac though for 80 bucks.

Have you considered buying new from a seller that charges no tax? That will make a HUGE difference. Or even from a member on here.

Reaction score
^ True. Macconnections/Amazon is usually my choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz 1.25 GB RAM
I've made two purchases from the refurb store - a Powerbook 12" 6 years ago and an iPod nano 2 years ago. Both products arrived in perfect condition. I wouldn't have known they were not new if I hadn't bought them myself.

You do get a good discount for being a student, but from time to time you'll see 20-25% off certain refurbed computers in the store. I might hold out for one of these and either really save some $$ or get a lot more computer than you had planned for the same price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.