Boot Camp Redoing Windows XP Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Hi guys

When I try to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, I go through the Windows Setup and select the partition and all that. After it installs, it tells me that it will restart to continue setup. After it restarts, it goes right back to the windows setup and asks me to select partition and all that again. Anyone explain why it does this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. Did you format the partition as NTFS?
2. When you say 'it installs' do you ever see the windows desktop?
3. Are you using a legit, full retail or system builders(OEM) disc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi guys

When I try to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, I go through the Windows Setup and select the partition and all that. After it installs, it tells me that it will restart to continue setup. After it restarts, it goes right back to the windows setup and asks me to select partition and all that again. Anyone explain why it does this?

(Common mistake) That's because you're pressing the "any key" to boot from CD. Do not allow Windows XP to boot from the CD - just leave it alone and it will boot normally and continue with the setup.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
OK now I got another problem. Now it seems something is wrong with the CD because it say hidusb.sys is corrupted. Not only that, but now even if I delete the Windows partition, it still tries to boot into the Windows Setup screen. I have to keep pressing "alt option" to go into Macintosh HD. How can I just get rid of the Windows setup so I don't have to keep pressing alt every time I start up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Go into settings in OSX. Go to startup disk and choose your mac HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.