Opinions needed - iPad vs. Kindle vs. 13"MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 max (16-inch, 2021) & 2016 iPad Pro
I bought my wife a 13" MB about 6 months ago. She has been hinting about wanting a Kindle for ebooks for Christmas.

A Kindle is cheaper than an iPad. My thinking is to just use her MacBook for downloading ebooks. Other than the obvious increased mobility of the Kindle and iPad to the MacBook, what are your opinions of the advantages and disadvantages of the Kindle vs. iPad vs. MacBook.

Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I will admit to being prejudiced toward the iPad (which I love), but the Kindle has four (and only four) advantages over the iPad.

1) It is cheaper -- $139 for the wifi version
2) It is lighter and smaller, thus more portable and potentially easier to handle while reading
3) The e-Ink screen has better visibility in direct sunlight (I don't read on the beach so not an advantage for me)
4) Better battery life -- about a week vs charging every day on the iPad

BTW: the MacBook is not a serious competitor as an eReader, either the Kindle or iPad blows that option out of the water.

My opinion FWIW if ALL (and I mean all) she is ever going to do with it is read, then buy the Kindle, otherwise the versatility of the iPad blows the Kindle away, and it is an excellent eReader (I use my constantly for that). :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If she's been hinting for a kindle - go for the kindle at $139 - you're getting off cheap here. Only remember, if she wants to read in bed, still going to require a book light.

Once you go Kindle, Nook, iPad for ebooks - a notebook is just a pitr for that purpose.

Reaction score
I agree...If you want a device just for reading go for Kindle! I have it and I love it!! If she reads a lot ( and I mean a lot) you better buy I kindle! I never tried to read a book with an IPAD but I guess that after reading for a while my eyes would get tired!!

I would love to have an IPAD but it is expensive and I prefer to wait for future versions! Go for Kindle! She will love it!! Besides, If you buy the 3G version you will have internet for free everywhere!! Great for emergencies but not so good for surfing the net though.

Cheers!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
... I never tried to read a book with an IPAD but I guess that after reading for a while my eyes would get tired!!

Cheers!

i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly.

C

chas_m

Assuming she's done her own research and concluded that the Kindle is what she wants -- as someone else said, you're getting away cheap.

But I'm still going to argue for the iPad because it is sooooooo much more versatile. That Kindle is going to get maybe (MAYBE) a year's use and then tossed in a drawer. Seen it happen over and over and over again.

The iPad can BE a Kindle (free Kindle app) AND a Nook (free Nook app) plus iBooks plus GoodReader plus ... well I think I've made my point. It's like buying all the eBook readers out there in one device that can STILL do so much more.

But again, if she's done her homework, don't second-guess her. Get her what she wants, then get yourself an iPad. I'll be interested to hear what happens after, say, a month. :)

Reaction score
Assuming she's done her own research and concluded that the Kindle is what she wants -- as someone else said, you're getting away cheap.

But I'm still going to argue for the iPad because it is sooooooo much more versatile. That Kindle is going to get maybe (MAYBE) a year's use and then tossed in a drawer. Seen it happen over and over and over again.

The iPad can BE a Kindle (free Kindle app) AND a Nook (free Nook app) plus iBooks plus GoodReader plus ... well I think I've made my point. It's like buying all the eBook readers out there in one device that can STILL do so much more.

But again, if she's done her homework, don't second-guess her. Get her what she wants, then get yourself an iPad. I'll be interested to hear what happens after, say, a month. :)

Kindle or nothing at all. After half year I still can't seem to justify the money for an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Kindle is a much better e-reading device than an iPad or a Macbook. The Macbook is the worst next to the iPhone for reading a book. The iPad is decent, but I like the Kindle more.

I actually had a Kindle, gave it away when I got my iPad, and then found myself buying a new Kindle because I just don't like the iPad for reading books. It's great for other things, but not for reading.

Reaction score
"i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly."...

What kind of comment is that? Of course I know how to adjust the brightness...I only say that if she wants a device just for reading...Kindle is way better...It is smaller, lighter and very friendly with your eyes...

Of course IPAD is better if you wanna use it for sth else...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The weight difference alone makes the Kindle better for reading, especially if you like to read a lot. The screen is also much better for long reading.

The iPad isn't bad as a substitute if you're not an avid reader, but much like any multipurpose device, the iPad is good at many things, but not as great as dedicated devices.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice so far!

One feature (or lack of) that no one has commented on is the Kindle's display is B&W only. Not having a color display might make a difference????

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice so far!

One feature (or lack of) that no one has commented on is the Kindle's display is B&W only. Not having a color display might make a difference????

Thanks.

How many books have you read or seen at the library that are in color? :p

Text in books is black and white, you won't have a problem.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How many books have you read or seen at the library that are in color? :p

Text in books is black and white, you won't have a problem.
I guess I would qualify as a somewhat avid reader--though I am sporadic. I will go through periods where I read two to three novels a week, then go a week or so without. I have never had any problem reading on my iPad, but that's me.
As to color capability--I have a number of books on digital photography that work far better in color than they ever would in B&W. Not to mention the several DvDs worth of Comic Books (Fantastic Four, Spider Man, Iron Man etc) courtesy of GIT publications that would suffer without that beautiful color screen. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
"i would guess you might be wrong if you learn how to adjust the brightness properly."...

What kind of comment is that? Of course I know how to adjust the brightness...I only say that if she wants a device just for reading...Kindle is way better...It is smaller, lighter and very friendly with your eyes...

Of course IPAD is better if you wanna use it for sth else...

The comment was pointed at the fact that once you adjust the brightness settings to an appropriate level, then you won't experience the eye strain that you mentioned in your previous post. It's a perfectly valid comment.

The Macbook is a horrible e-reader, I would personally never use my Macbook to read books. I use my iPad for reading all the time. I read at least one or two hours every night. I've gone through several books in just the last two weeks. I don't find the iPad to be heavy and the backlight doesn't result in eye strain. I find reading on the iPad to be a far more pleasant experience than a physical book. Another benefit to an iPad is that if I ever come across something while reading that needs to be looked up, I can quickly switch over to Safari and do a Google search, find the answer, and then quickly switch back.

I believe everyone else has answered your question regarding Kindle vs. iPad. If she wants a Kindle, then get her a Kindle, it's the only thing she'll be happy with.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If se want a device for reading then go for the kindle beside she already have a 13 MP that would be enough rather than buying her an iPad

That seems about right. I love my iPad, but I do find myself going back to my laptop more than my iPad, when I'm away from my desktop around the house. There are some tasks that I need to have access to that would make me less productive on my iPad.

But if I'm outside home, I'd definitely take my iPad with me rather than the laptop.

I think she'd be rather disappointed, if you just suggested to stick with her Macbook for reading. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello! My vote is for the Kindle. After having used a Kindle 3 for about 2 months now, I can say that it is by far the best way to read books on the go. The iPad is fun, but it does not give you the "actual book" experience that a Kindle gives you. There are too many chances to be distracted by games or the internet. Granted, the Kindle 3 is capable (and quite nicely actually) of using the internet, but it's not in your face. When you read a book on the Kindle, it's not that much different from reading an actual book. I got my wife one and she loves it tremendously! One of our favorite things to do together is (cheesy alert) curl up on the couch together and read book on our Kindles.

Hope that helps!

Trent out

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello! My vote is for the Kindle. After having used a Kindle 3 for about 2 months now, I can say that it is by far the best way to read books on the go. The iPad is fun, but it does not give you the "actual book" experience that a Kindle gives you. . . .

You may be correct in your assessment (I don't know for sure, never having used a Kindle). But, you don't say how much experience you have reading on the iPad either.
I am continually amazed by the negative statements people make about using the iPad who don't actually own and/or use one (if this doesn't apply here than I apologize in advance).
Bottomline: I don't know what the "actual book experience" is, but I read on my iPad all the time, and (especially when in its inCase leather case) the experience of reading is transparent to me. I never have this sense of "I am not reading a real book". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
You may be correct in your assessment (I don't know for sure, never having used a Kindle). But, you don't say how much experience you have reading on the iPad either.
I am continually amazed by the negative statements people make about using the iPad who don't actually own and/or use one (if this doesn't apply here than I apologize in advance).
Bottomline: I don't know what the "actual book experience" is, but I read on my iPad all the time, and (especially when in its inCase leather case) the experience of reading is transparent to me. I never have this sense of "I am not reading a real book". :)

Ah! No worries! I have done a lot of reading on the iPad as well. I don't personally own one, but I have a few comrades who do and have spent upwards of 20-30 hours reading on one. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fantastic device! I just prefer to read books on the Kindle rather than the iPad. It just reminds me more of an actual book (maybe it's the black/white/font/smell...I'm not really sure). To each his/her own though!

Trent out

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your opinions so far!

Are there any advantage/disadvantages in title selections and price, ease of downloads between the different formats, etc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.