a few questions about a repair

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently had my LCD replaced on a late 2009 Macbook Unibody. After the repair, I had to have them re-adjust the LCD, because it was off-center. They centered the screen for me, but now when you lift the lid, the back right side of the LCD slightly rubs against the body of the laptop (by the power button). Should I be worried about this? It's extremely minimal, but I don't want to cause any slow long-term damage because it isn't aligned properly. How difficult is it to adjust the LCD?

Also, after the repair I noticed that the hard drive makes a noticeable and constant spinning/whurring noise when not in sleep mode (it stops when the computer is asleep). It is very subtle, and doesn't seem to be over-working, but I hadn't noticed this before they replaced my LCD. Is this something that could have been caused by the repair?

Thanks!
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hey guys,

I recently had my LCD replaced on a late 2009 Macbook Unibody. After the repair, I had to have them re-adjust the LCD, because it was off-center. They centered the screen for me, but now when you lift the lid, the back right side of the LCD slightly rubs against the body of the laptop (by the power button). Should I be worried about this? It's extremely minimal, but I don't want to cause any slow long-term damage because it isn't aligned properly. How difficult is it to adjust the LCD?

As I said in your other thread regarding the display,
If it's going to bug you (as it would me), I'd be getting the time without your baby over and done with
Also, having it off centre when closed and in transport can lead to accidental damage, which won't be covered under standard warranty or AppleCare.

As for the HD, get it checked out while you have it with Apple.

Sometimes not everything goes exactly as we want it, even with Apple. I've had a bad run lately, but being a defeatist or not taking the time to have the problems nutted out with Apple would only leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth, not Apple.

In short, however many times it takes to get it sorted, take care of it.
Also, from what I understand, after 3 attempted repairs on the same problem, if it Apple haven't managed to fix it, they usually replace the unit.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. w/ regard to the screen -- I have a feeling they won't adjust it again since it is so minimal... its a matter of millimeters. They said they looked at the HD, and its working normally, so there's nothing that can be done. I bought an external and will be backing it up via Time Machine -- I just don't like the idea that something can be loose in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
All I can do is give you the advise I have. Should you choose to or not to take it is completely up to you.
There is a 90 day warranty on any repair done, but letting it go can lead to more damage, so being defeatist in this situation IMHO is also being slightly negligent.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a defeatist -- I just need my laptop for work, so its tough having it out of commission, if they can't do it on-the-spot. Also, if the hard drive is tightly secured where its supposed to be, and the diagnostics come up clean, what else can I request they do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The HD is not really what I'd be concerned about if it's working and not really giving you any problems like spinning balls, etc... as they are so cheap and you are keeping time machine backups.

I understand the problem of your Mac being out of commission being an inconvenience. It is for this reason that I have a second cheap MB that I use when I need to be without my MBP.
I have a clone of my MBP HD cloned with Carbon Copy Cloner, and boot my old MB with the external HD when I need to be without my MBP.
This is just the way it is.... just like when there is a problem with your car, and you have to leave it at the mechanics, and find alternative modes of transport to get to work.

I am not suggesting that you go out and buy a second computer just so you can take this one in, but in the future, for instance if you upgrade, it would be a good idea to keep your current one as a backup machine.

I can only suggest that you take it in at the most convenient time for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.