Using Skype with Mac

Reaction score
I downloaded Skype to my iMac the other night and everything works great except for one thing. I am not able to hear my friend talking through my computer. We don't know if it's his computer or mine. I have my audio settings set correctly and the volume turned up on the computer and on Skype but nothing happens. He can hear ME but I can't hear him.
We have to either type or talk on our cells.

If anyone has any advise to offer about this please contact me at: [email protected]

All responses very much appreciated.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It may be a setting with Skype or OS X. If you haven't checked both, make sure to check the preferences for each.

As an aside, you're not going to want to post your email on a forum. Doing so may lead to spam mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forum kawilady .....

I havnt got a definant answer for you, and hopefully someone will com in with it for you, but i had troubles with Skype running the latest OS.
After trying a lot of different things, trashing .plist, trashing app, reinstalling, running Repair Permissions and still had no joy. My solution was to go down and find a version that worked for me.

2.8 is the latest out for the Mac OS but i am running .v 2.7.0.330 and have no problems. Not going to upgrade as this version works for me.
Just something to think about.

And here is a page with all the old .v ....
Old Versions of Skype ~ mac.oldapps.com

Cheers

EDIT : And what ^^^ he said lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

I`m running V2.8 and no issues, only thing I can suggest if it is you that can not hear your friend, ask him to log in to Skype then look at the call screen as my screen shot and make sure that they have there mic set to max.

The sound volume control on the Mac is for them hearing you not the loudness of there voice, so if his is set low you will not hear anything hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Have you tried a Skype test-call from your own end? From what you've posted, it appears your friends' installation is working completely, but your audio in is not. That would be the 1st place to start and I reckon trouble-shooting from there will be a pretty simple thing. Most likely one of your Skype audio settings is just a little off. Play with the options there, make a Skype test-call and I'd be pretty confident you'll have it sorted in no time.

OP
K
Reaction score
Microphone issues with Mac and Skype

Hi,

I`m running V2.8 and no issues, only thing I can suggest if it is you that can not hear your friend, ask him to log in to Skype then look at the call screen as my screen shot and make sure that they have there mic set to max.

The sound volume control on the Mac is for them hearing you not the loudness of there voice, so if his is set low you will not hear anything hope that makes sense.

I can hear my friend just fine through my headset but the problem is, he can hear me through the speakers in my computer along with the background noise in my house.
I even purchased a new headset from Skype but it doesn't change anything. I have checked all of my settings in audio, checked the settings in Skype but nothing I do will change the fact that I cannot talk through the headset.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks and have a happy New Year.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm running the beta version 5.0, runs perfectly fine on my MB. The older versions did as well. I upgraded to the beta version and haven't ran into any bugs so far. I upgraded cause I hated the way skype looks on OSX. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Lets just recap,
1) Have you tried a Skype test-call?
2) Did you also check your settings in System Preferences/Sound/Input?
3) Did you select "Internal microphone - Built-in". Make sure the volume slider is on the far right and that it's not muted. When you talk, you should see the VU meter moving.

Without head set connected
1) Did you go to Skype/Preferences/Audio and choose for example "Audio Input: Built-in Microphone Internal microphone"
2) Did you check your settings in Macintosh HD:Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup to be for example "Default Input: Built-in Microphone" - "Properties For: Built-in Microphone" - "Audio Input - Source: Internal microphone" and make sure the volume channels are not muted.

In fact I just upgraded Skype on my iPhone and now have video calling works great just like FaceTime, except more calling options IE landlines PC`s etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.