Wife Dropped MacBook

Reaction score
My wife just dropped my black Macbook from 2006. I now have a 1/4 inch white line running down the entire screen vertically just left of the center of the screen. What did she mess up and how much does she owe me tonight, (if you know what I mean?)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Seeing as how she messed up the screen, which is a major component of the laptop and thus will be costly to replace, I'd say she owes you BIG. And I mean BIIIIIIGGGGGGGG.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Might be an all nighter and some overtime. >_>"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So what did she actually break?

It sounds like when it dropped, the display was damaged. I would say you have a cracked display. The only remedy it to replace it. Check with the folks at iFixit: The free repair manual to get the cost of a new display and instructions on how to change it out yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
My wife just dropped my black Macbook from 2006. I now have a 1/4 inch white line running down the entire screen vertically just left of the center of the screen. What did she mess up and how much does she owe me tonight, (if you know what I mean?)?

When you ask what she owes you, I had the number ready. But reading "if you know what I mean", I wonder what kind of payment you want from her. I know what I would have asked for if my wife or gf had dropped my precious computer and broken the display - but we all have different preferences. ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
When you ask what she owes you, I had the number ready. But reading "if you know what I mean", I wonder what kind of payment you want from her. I know what I would have asked for if my wife or gf had dropped my precious computer and broken the display - but we all have different preferences. ;D

LOL. She definitely made it up to me! :D Looks like if it is in fact the screen, then it is around $149. The iFixit instructions show you just about have to take the whole thing apart to change out the screen, so I would definitely want to swap out the 120gig hard drive and the 1 gig of ram for the max of 3. We're talking about $400 doing it myself. (With no guarantee that it is the screen.) What do you guys think, am I better off getting a new one or an iPad rather than upgrading an old processor (core2 duo). We have an imac, and my wife has a MBP, (which I now get to use even more!) and we both have iPhones. I'd like to wait for the new MBPs next year and was thinking an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard would tide me over?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
LOL. She definitely made it up to me! :D Looks like if it is in fact the screen, then it is around $149. The iFixit instructions show you just about have to take the whole thing apart to change out the screen, so I would definitely want to swap out the 120gig hard drive and the 1 gig of ram for the max of 3. We're talking about $400 doing it myself. (With no guarantee that it is the screen.) What do you guys think, am I better off getting a new one or an iPad rather than upgrading an old processor (core2 duo). We have an imac, and my wife has a MBP, (which I now get to use even more!) and we both have iPhones. I'd like to wait for the new MBPs next year and was thinking an iPad and a bluetooth keyboard would tide me over?

If it works (granted it is the screen), no need to upgrade. A C2D processor is fine by todays standars, especially for the average user. You can throw in a SSD or a larger, faster hard drive for increased performance and throw in some more RAM on top of that.

The next refresh probably won't be anything big, as Apple (from my observation) seems to be a little behind the curve of technology. They will start the real updates in their second update, not the next one coming up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.