Hard drive Stuttering/Crashing problems

Reaction score
I got my iMac about a week ago (21.5" higher end model) and almost every day I've had it, it's crashed at least once. When I say crash, I don't mean that it freezes or just shuts off, but the little Apple circle thing starts spinning and doesn't stop, forcing me to hard reboot by holding down the power button. It's happened a few times when trying to import a CD to iTunes and when trying to move files over from my external hard drive. Also, something I didn't notice when I first got the machine but have been noticing for the past day or two is a slight stutter sound of the hard drive any time I do something. It's not very loud but then again, I hadn't heard it before and all of a sudden it has become noticeable.

Is there any reason why this crashing should be happening? I haven't had any other computer have this problem and this is my first time with a Mac. I'm hoping that it's not a bad hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I got my iMac about a week ago (21.5" higher end model) and almost every day I've had it, it's crashed at least once. When I say crash, I don't mean that it freezes or just shuts off, but the little Apple circle thing starts spinning and doesn't stop, forcing me to hard reboot by holding down the power button. It's happened a few times when trying to import a CD to iTunes and when trying to move files over from my external hard drive. Also, something I didn't notice when I first got the machine but have been noticing for the past day or two is a slight stutter sound of the hard drive any time I do something. It's not very loud but then again, I hadn't heard it before and all of a sudden it has become noticeable.

Is there any reason why this crashing should be happening? I haven't had any other computer have this problem and this is my first time with a Mac. I'm hoping that it's not a bad hard drive.

Unfortunately, it does sound like a bad drive. Sometimes you do get a defective one, even in a brand new machine. Applecare should cover a replacement at no charge though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.