Stuffit - Mac zip opening on PC

Reaction score
Hi, all you Mac smarties,

I am creating ZIP files using Mac (10.6.5) and Stuffit 15.0.2. They will be used on a website that is accessed by mostly PC users. When downloading one of these zip files from the website on a PC, it contains an extra file named similarly to one of the other files in the zip, but it has a dot in front of it and is only 1kb. It is not actually the same file or format (though it has the same extension). When downloading the same zip file on the Mac, all is well...that odd file does not appear. Any clues about how to solve this for PC use? My users would not know what in the world to do with that odd file. It would generate multiple questions!

I can't seem to find a Stuffit forum to submit this question. Would appreciate a URL for this! :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums ...

I am not a Stuffit expert and to be honest, I don't see the issue.

If that file causes confusion, then include an explanatory note in the zip to tell the recipients that they can safely ignore that file.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.