• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

ibook g4 help

Reaction score
hey everyone,

i am new to macs, i have just purchased a 2nd hand ibook g4 to edit video, i need to edit alot of video for my job and cant really afford to splash out on a newer mac, as much as i would love to!!

i have garageband, iphoto etc etc but no imovie, i cant find any updates and i believe im going to have to buy software:\

does anyone have any recomendations, tips, etc etc and what would be the best to use on my ibook

many thanks everyone
kat
uk xx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Can you post full specs of your iBook please, that way we can advise better.
Processor speed, ram etc are the important things to know.
Thanks.

OP
B
Reaction score
ibook g4

Model Name: iBook G4
Model Identifier: PowerBook6,5
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 1.07 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.25 GB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.5f0
Serial Number (system): UV4238HVR73
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000D9343A7AC

hope that is some help, please let me know if u need anything more

OP
B
Reaction score
ibook g4

just recently purchased and installed this

1GB DDR 266MHz 200-PIN SODIMM IBOOK & POWERBOOK G4 RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok, thanks.
You are going to be limited by the spec of the iBook, just because it's older of course, and despite it's decent spec, you will struggle with iMovie, even if you can find an early version (4,5 or maybe 6).
Now obviously I don't know the kind of thing you want to do when editing, but there is a free program that may be worth a try, it's free so no harm! It's called Quickmix>

QuickMix - Mac Free

Other than those options I guess we'd need to know more of what you want to do.
Hope that helps.

C

chas_m

As long as you are aware that:

a. That computer is, at minimum, almost seven years old.
b. Was the low end and least powerful model when it was new

My suggestion would be to locate a copy of iMovie 6 HD, max out the RAM (which you indicate you have done), use an external Firewire drive for your storage -- and I hope you are a patient soul.

I hope the opportunity to move up to a newer machine comes soon for you. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.