I'm confused about installing XP on my Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
I have been thinking about installing a method to run Windows programmes on my new Mac Mini. I have been thinking about it ever since I got my G4 Mac Mini and discovered that it would be difficult.
I have read the stickies on the subject but couldn't find the answer to my questions and I have also tried Google with just as much success so I now have to ask the experts.
I would like to be able to switch from Mac to Windows without having to re-boot and I would also like to drag/drop files and images from one to the other. So the method of having Windows on my Mac depends on being able to do those things. Plus .....

1 ... Can I use my basic Windows XP disk and then add SP2 and SP3? (I have SP2 & SP3 on disc)
2 ... Can I add Windows by installing one of the VM programmes to a permanently connected external USB 2.0 hard disc and then installing XP to that same external HDD?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yes, the functions you describe are the primary advantages to running Windows through virtualization (i.e. running both operating systems simultaneously and being able to trade data back and forth via drag-and-drop).

As to your numbered questions...

1) Assuming that's a retail version that is not currently installed on another machine, then yes. If it's a "restore disc" it may be problematic, and of course with product activation, you can only have it installed on one machine at a time.

2) Yes, the virtualization product should allow you to pick where you want the virtual disk file stored.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the positive info. It was just what I wanted to hear.
I'll give it a go and report back later (after I buy the software)

Cheers,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There has been a hiccup in my plans.
It seems that Parallels can only be installed on the Hard drive that contains the Mac OS X and NOT on an external drive.
Still, c'est la vie as they say in Germany.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There has been a hiccup in my plans.
It seems that Parallels can only be installed on the Hard drive that contains the Mac OS X and NOT on an external drive.
Still, c'est la vie as they say in Germany.

Yes, the application itself needs to be installed on the System drive. BUT, you can choose where you want to store the actual virtual HDD file, which will contain the guest's operating system and it's associated apps/docs/settings, etc (and that's where the space gets eaten up). At least that's the case with VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox - I haven't touched Parallels since version 3.0, so I can't speak to that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.