Upgrading Unlocked iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1

Reaction score
Supposedly the unlock for 4.2.1 is coming out tomorrow. If I have a 3GS that's unlocked on 3.1.3, how would I go about upgrading to 4.2.1, then unlocking it without losing any of my data? Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to wipe it, then start over as a new phone? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Even when the unlock comes out, you can't simply update through iTunes and then unlock like with 4.0. Its more complicated.

You have to create custom 4.2.1. IPSWs that don’t update your baseband and update from those

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the link. So even if I create a custom 4.2.1 ISPW, I still may run into problems? Is there any way to upgrade the phone to an older OS? I'm fine with 3.1.3, but the only reason I want to upgrade is because MobileMe calendar syncing isn't working, and I was reading that there were some problems with MobileMe on 3.1.3.

Reaction score
Right now, even with a custom IPSW there is no unlock available.

In order to upgrade to a newer iOS (4.0-4.1) you'd already need that IPSW and SHSH blobs for 4.0.1. And it has to be a custom IPSW, even though someone probably has it on their computer from a past upgrade, Apple stops signing them soon after a new update comes out.

Seriously, if you have to unlock, you'd better wait.

Sorry

C

chas_m

Wow thanks for the link. So even if I create a custom 4.2.1 ISPW, I still may run into problems? Is there any way to upgrade the phone to an older OS? I'm fine with 3.1.3, but the only reason I want to upgrade is because MobileMe calendar syncing isn't working, and I was reading that there were some problems with MobileMe on 3.1.3.

I have an original iPhone that CAN'T go past 3.1.3, but there is a solution if all you want is MobileMe calendar syncing back:

1. Turn off calendar syncing in your MobileMe account settings on the iPhone.

2. Go back to "Accounts" and ADD an account. This is CalDAV. For server you put cal.me.com, then fill in your MM name and password.

There! All fixed.

OP
R
Reaction score
Awesome! It worked! Thanks for your help. I searched for hours trying to find a solution but I never heard of that one. Now the only thing is that the calendars show up but some of them aren't syncing. I'll troubleshoot it for a bit and hopefully it'll start working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.