iPhoto was accidently deleted

Reaction score
When i say deleted i mean i empty the recycle bin.
The icon is still on my dock with a '?' on it.
How do i get iPhoto back?

Also i had a enormous amount of photos, have i lost those?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums ....

I really can't call that "... accidently deleted ".
You can restore iPhoto and the photo's from a backup. ( right ?? )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
If you don’t back up, you unfortunately have lost your photos, but you can get iPhoto back (no photos because those are gone) by using the grey Application Install disc that came with your Mac, or an iLife disc.

C

chas_m

Whoa, hold on folks. Bad information being given out based on too-little information from the OP.

First of all, if someone deletes the iPhone *APPLICATION,* that doesn't have the slightest effect whatsoever on the photos. They are stored in a different location.

So no, *based on what little the OP has told us,* he hasn't lost any photos at all.

Second, we can't be sure if he actually deleted iPhoto at all ... or just the icon in the dock. If he actually deleted the application, then yes I agree with McBie ... that wasn't an accident, that took some pretty deliberate doing!

The iPhoto **APPLICATION** can be restored from one's iLife disk, or from the software restore DVD that came with the machine.

The first thing I would have the OP check is whether the folder "iPhoto Library" still exists in the Pictures folder in his Home folder. That's where the photos are, so that's the part that's really important to be sure hasn't gone.

Second, if somehow he HAS thrown out his photos AS WELL as the application, then he'll need to restore from backup ... or if there is no backup, smack himself in the face HARD and then call a professional data recovery service and immediately stop using the computer.

Hopefully the OP will update us on what is really going on, including model of Mac, version of OS, version of iPhoto, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.