• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Colleges for apple??

Reaction score
I am in high school I looking at working for apple does anyone have any suggestions on colleges that are good for like the Mac hardware field at apple?

Thanks a ton

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Mac hardware is just Intel hardware..there's no specific college that addresses that..if you are interested in hardware design, then you want to pursue something like Computer Engineering or even Electrical Engineering at pretty much any college with good programs..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, you want to be an industrial designer? My I ask why?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Your best bet is probably Electrical engineering, double major or minor in industrial design?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Design is a subject where no one school is known for "making" a designer, such as harvard for "making" a lawer. Your portfolio speaks louder than your school, as in the case with Jonathan Ives. For me, my favorite art school was, and still is, The Cleveland Institute of Art. But, there is also the Rhode Island art institute, as well as many art institutes in California.

If you want to actually build something that works on a chip...there's only one school...MIT.

Have fun! Industrial design is a really fun field!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro, 17", 8GB RAM, 2TB External Samsung, 2TB External Seagate,
conceive wellisci

Just as an idea, you may want to look into some Apple training courses as well. I have a degree from ITT Tech, however, we never used Apple computers there, so I have been looking for some type of certified Apple based training. Haven't taken any of the courses yet, however, they appear to be rather inexpensive. Might want to check those out too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Apple offers classes through training centers all over the country. Once I finish my MCSE coursework, that's next on my list of things to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Google up the courses that Jon Ive studied back in the day. Doing something similar would be a good idea.

Apple offers classes through training centers all over the country. Once I finish my MCSE coursework, that's next on my list of things to do.
Sure if you can afford the $1000+ you'll pay for the courses.

Reaction score
OK, wait a min.... If you are wanting to work in the design field you will need a solid degree in electrical engineering and you had better have solid math and science skills. MIT offers some free on-line courses, you might check there to see if you can find something. Here is a link to their EECS program.....

MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.