• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video recovery

Reaction score
Some videos I have become lost and I have located them searching the trash. I can play the thumbnail in the trash but I cannot drag them back onto the desktop. The name of the file in the trash is Spokane 022 (110 of 7177).MP4. When I get info the file type is HPIP and the name is the same as listed. How can I get these videos back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Can't recall hearing that you can't drag something out of the trash. Are you getting an error message and if so, what is it?

Can you right click on the item and choose "Put Back"?

Can you drag & drop while holding the Option key to make a copy?

You may be able to use the Terminal to force the issue. This takes some explaining if you aren't familiar with terminal commands.

OP
S
Reaction score
Are you getting an error message and if so, what is it?
No message when I play the thumbnail. When I try to open I get The alias “Spokane 022 (110 of 7177).MP4” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found message

Can you right click on the item and choose "Put Back"?
Put back does not appear in the list

Can you drag & drop while holding the Option key to make a copy?
I can drag but nothing happens when I drop

I have never worked with terminal before but I am always up for a challenge.

C

chas_m

It sounds to me as though you have somehow gotten the thumbnails iMovie makes of videos (that's how it can "scrub through" so quickly) put in the trash, but the actual original video is not there (maybe deleted). So recovering the thumbnails isn't actually going to help you much.

Is there still an iMovie Project folder or Event folder that has any trace of the original video?

OP
S
Reaction score
No there isn't and the imovie may be the culprit since I installed the newest version last week and the problem has surfaced since then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Are you getting an error message and if so, what is it?
No message when I play the thumbnail. When I try to open I get The alias “Spokane 022 (110 of 7177).MP4” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found message

Now I'm more confused. If that is an alias, it isn't much help to recover it if it can't find what it is pointing to.

As Chas said, recovering thumnails likely isn't any help either.

To use the Terminal is tricky to explain...

First the BIG WARNING: You can really mess up your system with Terminal commands. Don't try to get fancy with other files and folders.

Open Terminal from the Utilities folder.
Type 'mv ' on the line, without the quote marks and add a space.
Open the Trash.
Drag a file of interest to the Terminal window and drop. The full name with path appears.
Hit the space key again.
Type '~/' on the line, again, without the quote marks.
Hit the return key.

What we just did was move the file to your home folder.

If you get an error, STOP, and report it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you looked for the original file in the Events window. That is actually where I'd expect the thumbnails and original video to be when imported.

Have you tried copying the thumbnail name a pasting it into Spotlight for a search. Spotlight will show files in the Events folder for instance. The reason I mention this is that thumbnail names are based on the file name imported.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried the terminal and here is what happened. The only way I can see the lost file is to use the go to folder option in Finder. I enter ~/.trash and the folder opens. From this folder I cannot drag anything no matter what the file is. I sure am glad I have hardly any hair !!

OP
S
Reaction score
Great news...I have them back. I ran Remo Recover and was able to recover the missing videos along with others. Thanks for you help. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.