Please help me decide

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm an author looking to decide on my next bit of technology to help my creativeness.

I have previously either written longhand in notebooks (paper ones) or typed into a Nokia E71 or desktop PC.

I want to be mobile and portable when writing, say on the tube, but can't decide between iPod 4g, iPhone 4, or iPad.

Note: I have a MobileMe subscription, but without any of these devices, I'm not making full use of the product.

Each has their merits and I'm asking you to help me decide.

Regards,

Harrison.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: This does not belong in "Anything Goes". Moved to iPad since it sounds like you may be in need of one for your writing.

C

chas_m

If you're doing a lot of WRITING, then you want something with a keyboard, like a MacBook Air.

You *could* lug around a bt keyboard with your iPad, they even make a stand specifically for that, and that works for modest writing, but serious writing? No way.

The iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4g shouldn't even be on the list -- they are completely unsuitable for writing anything longer than a short e-mail.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have to agree with Chas. The iPad would be the best of the choices above, but having done a fair bit of writing myself I couldn't recommend it. I can compose fairly well at a keyboard but the inability to truly touch-type on my iPad really slows things down.
The most maddening thing to me on the iPad is the proximity of space bar to the keys and lack of physical separation means I end up with a lot of words joined by an "m n b or v" and unfortunately the spell check seems to be unable to handle that, which means a lot of backspacing and typing over. Not, to me, a recipe for keeping the creative juices flowing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
First you need to settle on what you want the tool to

do for you as you named three distinctly different tools. Want a phone? buy one. Want an ipod? Got news for you the iPhone 4 is an ipod. Want an iPad? no phone no camera.

See what I mean? What do you want to do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.