Patchy wireless connection with Macbook

Reaction score
I have a white Macbook from late 2006 that's still running on OS 10.4.11. I have had no significant problems with this laptop (I love Mac) until recently. A few months ago, the laptop started having troubles connecting to the internet. I thought it was the beginning of the end for my computer and that this was the first sign of it's eventual death, but then I went to a friend's house and noticed my connectivity there was fine. I tried connecting to other wireless networks to test it out, and got perfect connectivity with all of them. The only problems I have are when I am trying to connect to the network at my house. I then thought it was a router issue, but no one else in my house had the same problems connecting. I am the only person in the household who uses a Mac, so the only thing I can think of is that, for some reason, our router has suddenly stopped liking my computer.

Here's what's going wrong: I will turn on my computer and have absolutely no connectivity. Airport will intermittently show my wireless network and then lose it, but even when it recognizes the network, it gives me an error when I try to connect. For about 15-45 minutes, I will constantly try to connect to the wireless router. Eventually it works and everything is fine, but if the computer goes to sleep, it's the same game of cat-and-mouse to get connectivity even if it was only sleeping for a minute or two. Like I said, usually after I get the initial connection, I have full bars in Airport. Every so often, though, it will just drop all connection and I'm back to square one.

I have tried connecting pretty much every possible place in my house. The only place where I seem to have less trouble is when I literally sit right next to the router, but everywhere else it does what I described above.

My router is a Linksys model WRT54GS and my computer is a white Macbook from 2006 running on OS 10.4.11. Can anyone help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.