Can my MacBook run Civilization V?

Reaction score
The game just came out a few days ago and I'd like to know if my Mac would run it... Currently I have OS 10.5.8 but will probably be upgrading to 10.6.4 soon.

Other bits of information:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Speed: 2.13 GHz
Memory: 2GB
Video/graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Total VRAM: 256 MB

I have plenty of hard disk space, etc. so that shouldn't be a problem.

I want to know if my computer would run the game after going to snow leopard... I'm not sure the graphics card is good enough at all.
Ask if there's anything else you need to know before making a verdict too :p

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
It will probably run on med-low settings and get choppy when things get hairy.

It is a strategy game, so it is more CPU dependent than anything. Minimum is a dual core, Recommended is a quad core. Like I said, you can run it, yes, but it won't be pretty.

Reaction score

It is a strategy game, so it is more CPU dependent than anything. Minimum is a dual core, Recommended is a quad core. Like I said, you can run it, yes, but it won't be pretty.

I have a 2009 MBP 13" (2,26 GHz, 4MB of ram and Nvidia GeForce 9400M @ 256 VRAM) and I'm wondering whether to buy Civ 5 as I'm worried about the performance on my system.
I've tried the ported Win version to have a look around as there's no playable demo for Mac yet. The ported version has a bug that does not allow you to minimize all the video settings - if you change them to low or minimum you can't see anything. So at "medium" settings on small or tiny maps the first 20-30 turns it's bearable but then it gets pretty choppy as you discover the map , have more units, diplomacy etc.
Could someone advise if the performance of the "true" mac version will be better and what to expect? I don't mind lowest video settings but I hate when the game gets all choppy and laggy. I would really hate buying the game if my system can't handle it...
Help is much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Here are the system requirements:
Aspyr - Sid Meier's Civilization® V Mac

Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8600
Video Memory (VRam): 256MB
Media Required: DVD-ROM
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse & keyboard

Recommended System Requirements
CPU Processor: Intel Quad Core
CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Video Memory (VRam): 512MB
Apple original CPU’s only, CPU upgrades not supported.

Supported Video Cards:
NVIDIA GeForce® 8600, 8800, 9600M, GT 120, 320M
ATI Radeon HD 2600, HD 3870, HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750

Notices:
Apple Intel Chipsets only. Power PC Processors (G4 and G5) are not supported.
Intel® integrated video chipsets are not supported.
This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)

Internet connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details.

The minimum CPU speed says 2.4. Neither of you meet that.

Reaction score
Thanks for quoting the system requirements. However I managed to get the ported version (I'm assuming this actually consumes more of your system's resources than a regular mac version would) at medium details as I was unable to go with lower settings.
So it's definitely possible to get it running below the minimum requirements and would appreciate if someone could tell me what kind of performance I can expect from the true mac version at minimum details on my current setup. I'm not really much of a gamer so before spending 50 EUR on a game I'd like to know if I'll be able to my money's worth :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

^​
Thanks for quoting the system requirements. However I managed to get the ported version (I'm assuming this actually consumes more of your system's resources than a regular mac version would) at medium details as I was unable to go with lower settings.
So it's definitely possible to get it running below the minimum requirements and would appreciate if someone could tell me what kind of performance I can expect from the true mac version at minimum details on my current setup. I'm not really much of a gamer so before spending 50 EUR on a game I'd like to know if I'll be able to my money's worth :)
above

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.