My customers can't unzip the files I zip on my Mac?

Reaction score
Well, most of them can, but a handful can't get them to unzip because of the "extra Mac stuff". I use the built in compression utility. I am zipping .jpg & .png files.

Is there a different compression software that would make it so all of my customers (PC & Mac) could unzip everything?

(Because going to the office, downloading, deleting the Mac stuff, rezipping, and re-uploading is a PAIN!)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What makes you think it's the "extra Mac stuff" that's causing this? Do you get an error message? My limited experience with zip files across platforms hasn't resulted in any errors because I compressed the files on my Mac.

I don't use any other software but a quick search of the forums will yield many results concerning software that may suit your needs.

OP
M
Reaction score
What makes you think it's the "extra Mac stuff" that's causing this? Do you get an error message? My limited experience with zip files across platforms hasn't resulted in any errors because I compressed the files on my Mac.

I don't use any other software but a quick search of the forums will yield many results concerning software that may suit your needs.

Well, I'm guessing that because there are 30 designers at our store and the only designers having customer unzipping issues are the ones designing on a Mac. That and I know if I unzip it on my PC, delete the Mac ox files and re-zip then there are no more issues.

I just don't want to go through that hassle if I don't have to.

I know there are TONS of zipping software out there. But I didn't find any that said they would solve this problem. I don't want to download a bunch of software just to "try it out". I was hoping someone here had experience with this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Van pointed out, there are many Zip utilities for the Mac. Here's one that's free which you can try.

Also, certain files are already in a compressed format and can not be compressed any further - which, sometimes results in the file getting larger or corrupt. JPG and PNG files are those that fall in this category.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.