mac behaving VERY badly...

Reaction score
Hi..I have had my first hair teraing out of my head experience with my mac. I have a quad core i5 imac (27 inch) and had to force a shutdown of my mac as it had crashed.

Before I rebooted, I removed all USB devices and cables except the power supply.

Now when it turns on, it goes to 'guest' account and I have NO WAY of going back to my previous account.

is there anyway I can get this computer to switch back on under my normal account?

I have TRIED EVERYTHING in the accounts setting in system preferences.

i did, however, have the good sense to make sure I have a time machine.

Is there anyone who could help me switch on my mac so it goes back to the way it should be..ie under my main account?

I will never ever ever ever have a guest account enabled on any of my computers again after this :-(

thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Click the Apple in the corner and select Log Out.

That will take you back to the log in screen.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Bob..I tried that, it juts exits out of the guest log on and a new guest log on box appears.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
System Preferences - Accounts - Login Options

Is your admin account still shown in the Accounts sidebar?

What do you currently have shown in Automatic login?

And

What do you currently have shown for Display Login window as:?

And

Can you make changes in the Guest account using your admin password?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Bob, the side panel dosn't even list my admin account. I called apple and they told me to do a re-install and then re-instate my time machine back up

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have to agree with them - you somehow managed not just to create a guest account, but delete your account.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Bob..I did a re-install and recovered my old account and everything is as it should be. Now..here's the kicker..

apparently there is a HUGE bug in Mac Osx 10 that causes Guest accounts to totally wipe out admin accounts. i did a google search on this and the apple rep also admitted that this does happen. he advised the only thing to do is to DELETE any guest accounts you may have. Now my only problem is getting itunes to recognise my ippone 4 is plugged in...grrrr!!

so for the benefit of others, if this ever happens, there is no known fix other than to re-install the operating system and DELETE the guest account/disable it immedeatly xx

OP
B
Reaction score
That bug was fixed over a year ago. Have you not been updating your system?

my system is updated with every single update as soon as they happen and also my mac is 'cleaned' with 'cleanmymac' and onyx. by all accounts this bug isn't fixed, according to the apple guy.

he did say i was smart by investing in a time machine !

OP
B
Reaction score
that looks like a fix to stop guest accounts deleting data. this was a guest account deleting an ADMIN ACCOUNT. when I did the non-destructive recovery, everything was as it should be. your weblink is saying there is a fix for guest accounts deleting DATA.It was also published in nov2009,long before I had a mac, so if my mac was up to date,then it shouldnt have happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Bluefox9er, that guest account bug deleted the data of the admin accounts, too. It doesn't happen very often, but can happen. My guess is that the i5 iMac is a Leopard machine? It deleted the home folder of the admin account, if I recall from August-ish of last year. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.