My MacBook won't fully sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 Ghz Core Duo
My MacBook is about 4 years old and some months ago it stopped going fully into sleep. While the screen goes black, the fan stays on. Also, the DVD drive make a noise about every 30 seconds for about 2 seconds as if it is spinning. When that happens, the apple logo lights up for that brief few seconds. I suspect that explains why the battery runs down even when in this semi-sleep mode. Any thoughts?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is usually caused by third party hardware or software. If you have any peripherals connected to it, remove them and test to see if it sleeps.

If that's not the case, you're going to have to look for software issues. Start by going through your Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console). This may give you some ideas about third party apps that might be keeping it from sleeping.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 Ghz Core Duo
Thanks. No peripherals attached. I looked at the Console, and while there's a lot of data there, I'm not all that sure what I'm looking at or looking for?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks. No peripherals attached. I looked at the Console, and while there's a lot of data there, I'm not all that sure what I'm looking at or looking for?

Yeah, it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack, you've got to dig through and see if anything is repeatedly erroring out and whether you can nail it to a specific source.

By the way, do you have anything attached via Bluetooth (cell phones, keyboards/mice, etc)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.