Slow start up

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to Mac. I have a Macbook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz, 320 GB HDD, 5400 rpm, 4GB RAM, OS 10.6 Snow Leopard. 75% of the HDD is free. I have Windows 7 in Bootcamp. Only program in the start up item is Sophos Antivirus for OS 10.6 Snow Leopard and AVG Antivirus for Windows 7.

The problem is of slow start up. OS 10.6 takes approximately 45 seconds to boot up and Windows 7 takes approximately 150 seconds. I believe it is not normal.

Actions taken till now:-
1. Changed the antivirus programs to get better timing. NO change. Even I get the same timing without any antivirus program installed.
2. I have already done the verification of disk and repaired the conflicts. Still I get these messages given below:-

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
User differs on "private/var/at", should be 0, user is 1.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/dt.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jce.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/jconsole.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Classes/management-agent.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib", should be 0, user is 95.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/dt.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/jce.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/management-agent.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/security/blacklist", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
User differs on "System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries", should be 0, user is 95.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk15/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Java/Support/VisualVM.bundle/Contents/Home/profiler3/lib/deployed/jdk16/hpux-pa_risc2.0w/libprofilerinterface.sl", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

3. I have already reset the RAM, cleared the cache memory.

Anybody for help???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The time of 45 seconds for OS X on a 5400 rpm drive is about right - see nothing wrong with that. As to Win7, I'd suggest disabling/removing AVG and see what that does. You may also want to try MSE instead.

A 7200 rpm drive will cut the OS X boot time down to around 28-35 seconds.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.