Connecting ipod to car USB port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
Hello
I bought a new Rav4 this year with ipod connectivity and a USB port. When connecting the ipod however, instead of displaying the usual menu (ie 'artists' 'songs' etc) and being able to scroll through them, the screen is fixed on one display that reads 'OK to disconnect' with a large tick above it.

Nothing gets rid of this screen except unplugging the ipod. I can scroll through songs on the car 'seek' button but cannot jump to different artists etc. using the ipod.

This is very annoying and i am wondering whether anyone else is having this problem. The ipod software is uptodate so i wonder whether the car is at fault..
I thought i'd ask here before taking the car in to be checked.
Thank you for any tips you could give
Regards
Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What does your new car owner's manual say about the iPod connection and how it's supposed to work? Also, you might get on Toyota's web site and see if they have any useful info regarding the iPod player in their Rav4.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's the way all of them that I'm familiar with work. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury radios are the same.

It can be a pitr if you're listening to books or anytime you want to listen to something specific and don't have voice control or don't remember the exact title if you do have voice control.

That's the whole point of those controls - to get you to use the steering wheel controls, or worst case, be looking at the radio controls - typically mounted at the top of the dash so you can see the road and not looking in your lap at the iPod - or steering with your knee while you're holding the iPod with one hand while scrolling around the menus with the other.

I'd suggest you might want to open the owner's manual and do some reading on how yours works before you take your car in for something that is functioning as designed.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320Gb HD
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I have done a bit more research and ended up at 'Rav4world' (website) and it seems this is how it is, by design.
I understand the above comment on safety and avoiding looking at your ipod while driving and completely agree however sometimes there is a passenger who can do that instead of the driver... It would also be nice (if this IS specifically designed and not just an overlook) if car manufacturers did not treat people like children by doing these things. After all, i see other drivers very frequently texting or talking on their phones. You are either a responsible driver or you're not, this kind of design won't change that.
Thanks again for writing.
Tom

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Texting is illegal most places. Talking on your phone is not except in some areas - like school zones.

You can thank regulation that imposes rules on everything to protect people from themselves. In the case of texting to protect others from idiots. No different from the days when there was no such thing as a seatbelt in an automobile and now being illegal and a fine imposed if you don't have it fastened.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I have done a bit more research and ended up at 'Rav4world' (website) and it seems this is how it is, by design.
I understand the above comment on safety and avoiding looking at your ipod while driving and completely agree however sometimes there is a passenger who can do that instead of the driver... It would also be nice (if this IS specifically designed and not just an overlook) if car manufacturers did not treat people like children by doing these things. After all, i see other drivers very frequently texting or talking on their phones. You are either a responsible driver or you're not, this kind of design won't change that.
Thanks again for writing.
Tom

They do the same things with factory Navigation systems. In today's litigious society, where nothing they do wrong can ever be a person's own fault, the car manufacturers have to protect themselves.

Some of the third party solutions have a "direct mode", where you can override this lock screen. Since a lot of the factory integration solutions actually use 3rd party hardware - experiment with pressing and holding your preset buttons on the stereo and see if your screen becomes responsive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or, if you have bluetooth on that iPod and in the car - switch over to using bluetooth. That's what I do now and you get full access to the iPod controls. The only time I use the USB port any more is when I need to charge it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.