Fluctuating Macbook Battery Issues

Reaction score
I have a Macbook from late 2008. My computer no longer recognizes a battery. When I initially started having problems with it, it's cycle count was at 367, but it still would charge and be fine. Within a few weeks, however, it would be fully charged and abruptly shut down completely. I've done the hard restart thing mentioned on these forums a few times and it used to work for a day or two, but now it doesn't work at all. Here's my battery info:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-YYYY-0-2b8d
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0003
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

After doing the SMC restart, this is what shows up:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: DP-YYYY-0-2b8d
Manufacturer: DP
Device name: ASMB016
Pack Lot Code: 0003
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0102
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 607
Fully charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 4651
Health Information:
Cycle count: 423
Condition: Good
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 1730
Voltage (mV): 11395

However, it will only last for a small amount of time - between 4 hours and a day. Then, the computer will abruptly shut down, only run when it is plugged in, and not recognize the battery.

Do I need a new battery? Or, is this a hardware problem that I need to take to get fixed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention if the machine was working OK from AC power only. In any event, it does look like you need a new battery. Be sure to buy one of good quality and not some eBay knock off.

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. Yes, it works flawlessly with the AC connected.

I'm just worried about purchasing a new battery and then having it be something else. How can I be sure it's a battery issue?

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro does this as well. I have to keep the backlight on the lowest possible without it being black, and even then it shuts off occasionally. It only stays on when plugged in; turns off right when you unplug it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your response. Yes, it works flawlessly with the AC connected.

I'm just worried about purchasing a new battery and then having it be something else. How can I be sure it's a battery issue?

You can't be 100% sure but chances are the battery should be replaced. If it was the MagSafe adapter, the machine would not operate from AC power. Also, your battery has 423 charge - recharge cycles on it which is over the 300 cycles that Apple states is normal for that battery.

You can always bring your machine on in to Apple and have them test the battery for you - just to make sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.