Protecting Files From Being Seen?

Reaction score
I've got some files I'd like to make so no one on my computer can look at unless they have a password.

Failing that, I need some other way to make them off limits while still being accessible.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I've got some files I'd like to make so no one on my computer can look at unless they have a password...

Hmmmm... wouldn't a simple User account meet this requirement? If each user on your computer has their own, unique User Account, they will not (by default) be able to access another users' documents, other than those stored in a location specifically designated as "shared" or "public".

No need to make it any harder than needs be I reckon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
RadioSaigon is correct.
Just create another user account on your Mac and you're done.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Headaches and forums don't mix apparently. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The very easiest thing for you to do is go into System Preferences>System>Accounts. There, create a new account by clicking the little plus sign at the bottom left. (You may have to click the little padlock icon just under that and enter your password.)

Create a new account, provide a password and be sure to uncheck the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer." You can let other people use the Guest account, but none of its settings will be saved whenever you log out of it. So it's better to give everyone who uses your Mac their own account.

Reaction score
I think the separate user thing is fine for low-level security between respectful users of the same computer.

HOWEVER... The password protect for user accounts can EASILY be hacked. Easily!

So when it comes to really protecting private files such as a password list, sensitive financial info, nude pics of wife, you NEED a system that is fail-safe and nearly impossible to crack.

Say you die... and you don't want anybody to open those files, EVER. A simply user account won't do. The people cleaning out your estate will very easily have access to do whatever they want with those files. Or say your computer gets stolen... Think about that.

So... The real question is:

What is the most SECURE system to password protect private files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think the separate user thing is fine for low-level security between respectful users of the same computer.

HOWEVER... The password protect for user accounts can EASILY be hacked. Easily!

So when it comes to really protecting private files such as a password list, sensitive financial info, nude pics of wife, you NEED a system that is fail-safe and nearly impossible to crack.

Say you die... and you don't want anybody to open those files, EVER. A simply user account won't do. The people cleaning out your estate will very easily have access to do whatever they want with those files. Or say your computer gets stolen... Think about that.

So... The real question is:

What is the most SECURE system to password protect private files.
Well, that's a totally separate question from what the original poster was asking.

Frankly, if you're dead, you'd want your estate to have your passwords and financial info. And presumably, if you're married, it would be your wife who would be handling your estate, so any pictures of her would be, well, nothing new.

For theft and everything else, there's File Vault, and Full-disk encryption products like PGP WDE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.