Safe Operating Temperature Ranges for iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, i5, 2.83GHz, 8GB Ram; 17" MacBook Pro; iPad 3
Where can I find the safe operating temp specs for a 27" iMac (late 2009)?
I can't seem to find them on the Apple website.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Here you are ...

Cheers ... McBie

Screen shot 2010-11-26 at 18.07.53.png

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
McBie --

Thanks for the info. I am interested because I came across a small app that gives temp readings for more sensors than I even knew existed! Got me a bit worried that I wasn't checking things I should be. Obviously, I'm an ex-Windows user.

In case you are interested, the Temp Monitor can be found here:
Temperature Monitor: Description

Again, thanks for your help.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
McBie --

Thanks for the info. I am interested because I came across a small app that gives temp readings for more sensors than I even knew existed! Got me a bit worried that I wasn't checking things I should be. Obviously, I'm an ex-Windows user.

In case you are interested, the Temp Monitor can be found here:
Temperature Monitor: Description

Again, thanks for your help.

I'll think I stick with smcFanControl, less complicated. :p

C

chas_m

I am endlessly fascinated as to why Windows switchers seem to be convinced that Apple doesn't know how to properly ventilate their own designed machines and thus it needs "management" by the user.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...k-air-pro-overheating-what-do-i-do-guide.html

Short version of the above thread: Apple has it handled. Short of a serious defect (which would quickly become obvious), you don't have a problem and don't need to worry your pretty little head about it at all. Enjoy, and welcome to Macintosh.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that Apple and my iMac are in a different league than any PC, but they are far from perfect, as much of the content of this Forum reveals.

Your attitude that "Apple has it handled" and that a "serious defect" would quickly become obvious is nonsense. That's like saying don't worry until it's broken. You have had too much Apple grape Koolaid.

If I touch the back of my Imac and it seems abnormally hot, does Apple "handle that" by providing an alarm to let me know to contact support before any damage occurs?

Or if I call Apple support about it, do you think they would prefer to hear that "Wow, dude, it's really hot" or would they help me better if I could give them a number?

What do you think, Reverend? You need to relax and quit being so defensive about things. I believe that once you go Mac, you never go back, but that does not mean you have to be stupid.

Cheers,

Mileman 2010

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My view on all of this is that:
1) the Apple engineers have designed the machines very well, including cooling.
2) When the temperature inside the Mac reaches a treshold, the machine will shut itself down, to prevent damage from overheating.
3) what seems to be ' very hot ' on the outside of the machine, might still be acceptable inside the machine. ( We measure things by touching and saying ... this is rather hot, the machine measures in binary numbers .... no guessing )
4) Manually controlling the fans to keep the machine cooler will result in wearing out your fans quicker than having them managed by the machine itself.

Off course, things can go wrong ... it's hardware after all, but keeping the ventilation holes clean will reduce the likelihood of overheating.

I am using my MBP 7-8 hours every day and the palm rests can get ' uncomfortably ' hot and when I look at the temperature readings it says 48 degrees celsius, which is not hot in technical terms..... it is too hot for me ( and my wife is still ok with that temperature ) but it is not too hot for the machine.

I have iStat Menu running , showing me the temp reading, but I am not manually fiddling with the fan speed, I use it only as an indication. If the machine get's hot ( above 80 degrees celsius, and I don't hear the fans, then I check the fan speed only to find that they are indeed revving up but they are so quiet.

No need to second guess the Apple engineers I would say.

My 2 cents

Cheers ... McBie

C

chas_m

I agree that Apple and my iMac are in a different league than any PC, but they are far from perfect, as much of the content of this Forum reveals.

Actually, this (and other forums) mostly reveal the imperfections of users -- myself included -- not the Macs. Actual hardware defects that aren't one-offs unique to that user (or caused by the user) are still pretty darn rare.

Your attitude that "Apple has it handled" and that a "serious defect" would quickly become obvious is nonsense.

No, it's not. You just don't know anything (yet) about Apple's ventilation designs. You didn't read the link provided, did you?

If your machine was actually "overheating," it would shut off. If it hasn't shut itself off, it is -- ipso facto -- not overheating.

If I touch the back of my Imac and it seems abnormally hot

That would be perfectly normal. See my response above ... you're just unaware of Apple's cooling design for the iMac (and, to be fair, there's nothing on the box that explains it). The iMac uses "convection cooling" (aka "heat rises") to keep fan use (and thus noise) to a minimum -- and the vent on the top is doing exactly and precisely what it was designed to do -- vent hot air. In other words, it is supposed to get hot. And your hand is not supposed to be there. :)

It's an innovative design compared to the rest of the computer world, but its just plain clever. Cool air is drawn in by convection from the bottom of the screen, passes over the components and warms up, which causes it to rise and vent out the slot in the back with an absolute minimum amount of "helping" by the fan system (which is computer-controlled to kick in only WHEN and exactly HOW MUCH its needed). Ingenious.

But don't take my word for it ... ask Bobtomay or any other other people with more green dots under their name than I have. Or you could just read the link I provided in my previous post, it's all there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Your attitude that "Apple has it handled" and that a "serious defect" would quickly become obvious is nonsense. That's like saying don't worry until it's broken. You have had too much Apple grape Koolaid.

If I touch the back of my Imac and it seems abnormally hot, does Apple "handle that" by providing an alarm to let me know to contact support before any damage occurs?

Or if I call Apple support about it, do you think they would prefer to hear that "Wow, dude, it's really hot" or would they help me better if I could give them a number?

What do you think, Reverend? You need to relax and quit being so defensive about things. I believe that once you go Mac, you never go back, but that does not mean you have to be stupid.

Cheers,

Mileman 2010
Apple handles it by warranting the product for a given time (up to three years.) If damage occurs, Apple will fix it.

Because Apple doesn't want to have to do warranty repairs, (they're expensive) Apple typically has its engineers do extensive thermal modeling on its computers. Apple has labs with chambers where engineers can vary temperature and humidity and monitor internal temperatures over time.

Touching the case with the back of your hand just doesn't compare, really.

Sure, Apple' occasionally gets it wrong. Sometimes a component manufacturer will give Apple bad specs. Sometimes a manufacturer will change specs without telling Apple. Sometimes the factory will assemble things wrong.

That's why you have a warranty.

On the other hand, if you take matters into your own hands, you are on your own. Apple is not responsible for warranty repairs if you override its temperature settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Huh?

Your attitude that "Apple has it handled" and that a "serious defect" would quickly become obvious is nonsense. That's like saying don't worry until it's broken. You have had too much Apple grape Koolaid

You're new here so I'm hoping this isn't normal behavior from you. At this point you just appear to be trolling. I suggest you take a second and familiarize yourself with our Community Guidelines.

Actually yes, if the machine overheats it shuts down to prevent damage. If you keep doing it over and over and ignore the fact it's shutting down, that's your own fault if there's damage.

Probably won't care if you give them a number since they'll need to test it themselves anyway. They're not going to act on your number.

Cheers,

Mileman 2010

This is an inappropriate comment. Read the guidelines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.