MBA has turned yellow

Reaction score
I have a 2.8 year Mac Book Air that I have absolutely loved and used about 8 hours a day. A few weeks ago I started to have hinge issues. I did what I could to minimize movement after I learned that Apple store wanted $800 to fix it. Now I just came home and turned on my MBA and everything is yellow. It is like an old time TV set giving static late at night when the shows were over...only this is my computer. Can you tell me
1. why this has happened -- is it relted to the hinge problem?
2. what to do.

Thanks.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could be related to the hinge problem, it has actually been quite a wide-spread problem for many users, problem is that the cables for the screen are right next to the hinge, so it may have damaged the wires or may have made them loose. If your feeling brave open and have a look.

- Simon

Reaction score
Do you have applecare? If you do I would advise taking it to apple. I took my MBA (of the same age) to apple for a hard drive problem and they are replacing the entire computer and giving me one of the new generation of MBA.

OP
G
Reaction score
Applecare? No. This machine was bought in Germany almost three years ago and brought to me here in Istanbul.

This morning I left it open, asleep, with some perfectly placed duct tape and when I came home our cleaning woman had shut it and moved it (!), so it could be that?

If I were to open it up and look around, what would I be looking for? I am not squeamish when it comes to messing around with computers. I've been using Macs since 1986.

OP
G
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the cables are located, to the left or to the right? The right side hinge is completely loose, the left side one could become lose quickly with a little persuasion. How long are the cables??

OP
G
Reaction score
That's a really nice site but it does not address th is issue of cracked hinges that then affect which I assume are wires. Now my screen has gone from Tweety yellow to flamingo pink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
If I were to open it up and look around, what would I be looking for? I am not squeamish when it comes to messing around with computers. I've been using Macs since 1986.

That's a really nice site but it does not address th is issue of cracked hinges that then affect which I assume are wires. Now my screen has gone from Tweety yellow to flamingo pink.

I was trying to address this question for you.

As far as the hinges are concerned, some laptops have hinge issues. Try to find a new outside case, and put it on yourself. Or just tape it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.