Magic Mouse.

Reaction score
I really like the Magic-Mouse that came with my iMAC 27 which I bought in April, except that it exhaust batteries very quickly.
I am averaging a new set of AA batteries every 4 to 5 weeks, is that normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac i3 3.06Ghz, 4GB Ram, Snow Leopard 10.6.4
I average about 5-6 weeks. You probably use your mouse alot longer? I use mine for about 5-6 hrs a day, sometimes more sometimes less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
buy some rechargeable batteries

C

chas_m

Make sure those rechargeable batteries are 2000mAh or higher. Makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas M can I just ask you how long would the magic mouse last if you had rechargeable batteries that are 2400 mAH…with the mouse being used around 5-6 hours a day…

just curious…

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I get 2-2 1/2 months out of a set of Energizers. The main advantage of the NIMH Rechargeable is not having to waste $$$ on new batteries. Have 2 sets and keep one charged ready to change for when the set in the mouse dies.

Not sure on the time with NIMH. I know my Logitech BT mouse gets 2 months between charges using 2400 mAh batteries. I have not tested them in the Magic Mouse as yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah ok, do you know if the apple battery charger + rechargeable batteries are any good?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am told the Apple Charger and Batteries are excellent. No experience myself with them but read very good things about them.

It's too bad the Magic Mouse does not get the battery life of that new Aluminum keyboard. I am at 7 months on the same batteries!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Interesting. I've had my Magic Mouse since the day it was released. I think I've changed the batteries twice since then.

I use it for about 8 hours a day, about 5 days a week - but the trick is, I turn if OFF when it's not in use. Do you guys leave the power switch on all the time, even when not in use?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I've had my Magic Mouse since the day it was released. I think I've changed the batteries twice since then.

I use it for about 8 hours a day, about 5 days a week - but the trick is, I turn if OFF when it's not in use. Do you guys leave the power switch on all the time, even when not in use?

I turn it off if I walk away and will gone for a while. I never leave the power on unless I am using it though. I get maybe 2.5 Months Max.

I think my Logitech V270 (like the one you owned) got maybe 3 months BTW.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't use the MM but I do have a BT mouse (Logitech) that lasts forever on a set of batteries. I do turn it off at the end of the day but I probably use it for 5-6 hours a day. I can't give you a timeframe but it is considerably longer than 4-5 weeks.

To the OP: If you're this concerned about battery life, consider turning it off when you''re not using it. Do either that or dtravis7 suggested - have two sets of rechargeables (one in use and one ready to go). This is what I do with my batteries and it's great.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't use the MM but I do have a BT mouse (Logitech) that lasts forever on a set of batteries. I do turn it off at the end of the day but I probably use it for 5-6 hours a day. I can't give you a timeframe but it is considerably longer than 4-5 weeks.

I have a Logitech I use with my iBook when I take it with me. It's one of the Wireless Mice with the Nano receiver. That thing gets maybe 6+ months on a set of batteries! Longest lasting mouse I have ever used. I do love the MM though because of it's touch surface for some work I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
but the trick is, I turn if OFF when it's not in use. Do you guys leave the power switch on all the time, even when not in use?

I turn it off if I walk away and will gone for a while. I never leave the power on unless I am using it though.

So what you are both saying (sorry a little off topic) but isnt there a setting in preferences or something to actually turn the power off in the mouse (Sleep??) after certain time ??

Thought something of that calibre would have that feature

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I use a Microsoft wireless 700 v2.0 Mouse with my iMac G4. It gets like 2 week battery life at the most. And it shuts off when it's inactive over 5 minutes .So you have to click it to get it to turn back on. I guess I need to get some rechargeable batteries.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So what you are both saying (sorry a little off topic) but isnt there a setting in preferences or something to actually turn the power off in the mouse (Sleep??) after certain time ??

Thought something of that calibre would have that feature

Cheers

Yes, the Magic Mouse, like nearly all wireless mice, has a stand-by or sleep mode. But there's still electrons running through those circuits to monitor for movement so that it can "wake" in a timely manner. And that monitoring comes at a cost. So, you can simply flip it over and hit the switch, which completely cuts off the flow.

C

chas_m

As cwa107 says, the MM has a sleep mode ... but it waits quite some time before going into it, and sleep still uses some power (as opposed to "off").

I keep two sets of rechargeables, and do turn my MM off on the rare occasions I go to bed. :)

For me, this means the batteries last about six weeks. The main "culprit" here is me -- I use my computer at least 10-12 hours a day, minimum. I make my living off my computer AND I use it for most of my recreation as well. So that's kind of hard on the batteries.

PS. Batteries DO last a lot longer on RF (non-Bluetooth) mice than on BT mice. I don't know the technical reasons why but there's plenty of documentation on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93 i7 iMac 1TB HD 8GB RAM, Macbook, iPad 64gb Wifi+3G
I just can't make myself like the magic mouse..not very ergonomic..love my logitech Perfomace MX

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.