imac g3 233mhz wont power up now....

tgg

Reaction score
I Have a imac 233mhz g3 its the blue color one, and all I did was went to put it at another location in the room and I plugged in the power cord and notice some electricity at the plug end and then went to turn in on and nothing happens at all no more whats so ever.

ANy1 know the issue please help thax.

U

UncSki1218

you may have burned out the power supply. by electricity do you mean you saw sparks and stuff by the plug when you plugged it in?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had that exact same problem with an IMac Grape 333Mhz G3. The PRAM battery was stone dead and it stopped turning on. It eventually did power up, but a new PRAM battery cured it forever.

OP
T

tgg

Reaction score
OK yea I guess it was like sparks, basically after seeing that I said to myself ohh no please power up hehehehe.

Ok now About the PRAM battery is it hard or where is it at and where can i get it etc.

From using google for my issue seems like theres a known issue of my issue, but they talk about the flyback trasnformer being bad. Now i read that there will be some little power like the green light coming on or you hear the fan and drives making noise but no video signal, or even the imac will turn on for only 5-10 seconds then just powers off. Well those symtons dont aplly to me cause i dont get no power at all what so ever. So does the PRAM battery make sense or what? thax...

OP
T

tgg

Reaction score
Well push the pram reset little button once and removed the pram battery for about 1 hour and then hold button for about 10 seconds and then put battery back in and everything and suprise, suprise the mac powered on. But again i shutdown and unplugged it and set it on a computer desk and then plugged in the cord behind the imac with the other end of the cord already in the power outlet and saw some electricity or sparks whatever you want to call it and it wont power on again, so I'm gonna do the procedure again and I already have it on the desk where i want it so I can just plug it in once.

But Why does it do that anyways?

H

Harryc

tgg said:
Well push the pram reset little button once and removed the pram battery for about 1 hour and then hold button for about 10 seconds and then put battery back in and everything and suprise, suprise the mac powered on. But again i shutdown and unplugged it and set it on a computer desk and then plugged in the cord behind the imac with the other end of the cord already in the power outlet and saw some electricity or sparks whatever you want to call it and it wont power on again, so I'm gonna do the procedure again and I already have it on the desk where i want it so I can just plug it in once.

But Why does it do that anyways?
I'd guess that your outlets are not grounded properly, and the sparks are just a result of that. I also think that you have a bad battery, which is the real cause of the issue. You could also have a bad power cord or a marginal power supply, or a combination of all of the above:). Checking the outlet with a circuit tester, trying another power cord, and replacing the battery are the cheapest options. IMHO, try those first. Definately do check the outlets though, or have an electrician check them. If there's a short or bad ground somewhere, that will come back to bite you someday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.