Returning to a "warm" macbook pro that was "idle"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
well, I just left my macbook pro open (running mail, ichat and firefox) while enjoying dinner with the family, came back to check something (woke it up) and noticed that it's quite warm above the keyboard.

Is this normal?

I took a snap of the activity monitor and is that much of the CPU supposed to be used when running nothing?

Screen shot 2010-11-25 at 6.55.40 PM.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Doesn't look like much of the CPU is used at all. But since Activity Monitor isn't sorted by CPU utilization in your screenshot, it's kind of hard to same.

As far as heat goes, since the casing is aluminum, it acts as a heatsink and anytime any of the heat generating components has electrons running through it, it can get warm. In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Your System processes were taking up 31% of your CPU (mine hovers around 4%), so click the drop-down menu where it says 'My Processes' - then select 'System Processes' - then double click the CPU column header, and you'll see which process is doing the work. Google that process and you should be closer to an answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.