is this a common problem? because this has happened twice in one day

Reaction score
this is the second time to happen today, i close the lid of my macbook pro and when i try to wake it back up, it simply doesnt. i have to do a hard shut down with the power button and boot back up, then when i do, i reopen ichat and my already opened chats, that usually come back because i have "open last chat" set, but it clears it. even though thats just a side effect i want to know if this is common, and why exactly this happens if anyone knows. the standby light stays on and sometimes dims and brightens, but not as it usually would when its closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
This is quite a common problem, usually down to the sensor being a little faulty, for most people it only happens now-and-again, for others all the time. If your under warranty/ Apple Care i'd take it for a hardware test at an apple store to be on the safe side.

Other forum that has covered this quite a bit:
My Macbook sometimes doesn't wake up from sleep mode after I open it

- Simon

OP
stickerdontwork
Reaction score
thanks a lot, i'll try some of those thing that they suggested and if it persists i'll bring it to the apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Let us know how you get on pal.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Have you tried resetting the SMC?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.