teminal ctrl-c

Reaction score
Hello

I'm new here so please excuse me if this is common knowledge.
Coming from the unix world I have a tendency to use the shell for quite a number of things. Unfortunately I can't find the way to abort a command when using he mac terminal.

As an example: ping somehost

If the host is there it will respond and in a unix shell a ctrl-c would stop the ping and give you back the terminal prompt. Search as I might I can find no way of doing this with the mac, and end up by closing the terminal and opening up another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ccaaee

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Control-C works fine. Are you by chance pushing Command-C (this will not send the appropriate signal)?

OP
C
Reaction score
I am indeed using Control-C (control being the furthest lower left key on the keyboard). I should add that this is not my computer but that of a neighbour who sometimes needs help so I can't tell you the version of OS X it's running. Perhaps there is somewhere where key combinations are set up inside the Terminal application. Failing this are there other terminal/console apps for mac?
Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmm, not sure why Ctrl-C isn't working. I'll get back to you on this one. In the meantime, you can try iTerm but using that may make no difference if it uses bash as well and bash is the issue here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.