Problems with 10.5.8 - Terminal, Console won't Open

Reaction score
I'm running 10.5.8. Recently I've been having problems. I can't open terminal, under ANY account. I can't even edit any of my .bashrc files or anything because TextEdit hangs. And even the Console program hangs when I try to open it. But any app I can start under the gui opens and runs fine.

It seems like when terminal opens it gets hung under "login" and never makes it from there...

Any help you can give me I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums

Have you tried repairing disk permissions etc? Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

- Simon

OP
E
Reaction score
brave wandelf

Thank you for your response, yes I did indeed run the permission repair as well as trying things like removing the preferences files for the terminal, but to no avail.

It's almost like the shell is broken, but it does it for all users.. I'm kind of at a loss here. I come from a unix background but this OS has me so far removed from the basic shell that I don't know where to begin...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.