Installing eSATA on my imac 27

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across an online tutorial on modifying your iMac 27 to have an eSata port. I don't recall where I found the tutorial but I would like to have this done for my iMac.

I purchased my iMac27 in december of 2009. How do I find out if I can run esata port? Also, are there any videos on this esata mod? I know OWC, macsales.com does this as a service but I can't ship my computer to them because I use it daily for work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, you can not add an eSATA port to your model iMac 27".

This quote was taken from the Apple Discussion Forums:

The only option for connecting ESATA to any iMac is if you have mid 2010 27" iMac. OWC provides a service for adding a ESATA port however they only do it on the mid 2010 27" iMacs, I just confirmed it. They don't sell a do-it-yourself kit, one has to send their iMac to them. If you are at all interested you will find it on their home page at Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

Notice that your model has to be a Mid 2010 27" iMac. If you need more info on this, I suggest contacting the folks at OWC directly. They have an 800 number for customer support and information.

Reaction score
esata mod for imac

FYI for anyone else who comes along here planning to make the mod via OWC or try it on their own.

I found some detail which would explain why OWC isn't providing eSata modifications for late model 2009 iMacs:

How To Add An eSATA Port To An Intel iMac – @SFoskett – Stephen Foskett, Pack Rat

According to this, the 2009 model only has 2 internal eSata ports, 2010+ has a third for internal expansion. The guy in the blog above had an older 2009 and sacrificed his DVD for the connection. (and had to unsolder it)

Unfortunately I'm not willing to do that, so no external eSata for me.. Oh well..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.