Any advice on buying used Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been offered a used Macbook Pro... Any tips on how I can check out if it's a dud or not?

Also, seller claims to have all sorts of interesting software installed (Adobe CS5, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro...) which appears to make this an attractive purchase. What are the legal situation/other issues regarding pre-installed software?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Make sure that all of the CD's and license keys are provided for the software. If you can get a chance, ask to take a look at the Mac, run disk utility to check for any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Run disk utility, and Apple Hardware Test if possible. Check all the ports to see if they work and the CD drive as well. Check for dead pixels, and make sure the serial is valid, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's my opinion:
Never get suckered into a deal because of what programs it comes with! For me, I would never buy a macbook pro that had the slightest scratch/dent because if a user is cares enough, there won't be one. So, look out for those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.