• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pumpkin Pie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They're already out of the oven and cool enough to slice. :Evil:

If I could get away with it without having my hand sliced off that is. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Best thing ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You lot are weird.

Never had it, never fancied it. That's just so American!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You lot are weird.

Given what you all eat over there, not a lot of room to call us weird. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
EXAMPLE! At least we don't eat Frogs Legs, Snails etc, or Sauerkraut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about jellied eel, mint sauce, and Liver?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

I'm the cook around here, but Mrs. Smith makes our pumpkin pies :)

Seriously though, I was boiling the giblets and turkey neck last night to make stock for gravy and the aroma was killing me. I wanted to stick the bird in the oven last night ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EXAMPLE! At least we don't eat Frogs Legs, Snails etc, or Sauerkraut.

Can't say that I've ever had opportunity to eat frogs legs or snails. Sauerkraut I've had occasionally on hot dogs, or with pork.

Seriously, those are the things you cite as "American food"? I can think of many other things more typical.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No Mrs Smith's here. But, the kids coming up is the only time I get home made any more.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

That sounds amazing. I've ever had pumpkin pie, fresh out of the oven. I can't imagine how nice that would taste. It's surprising how good pumpkin foods taste, my favorite is pumpkin ice cream and cookies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't say that I've ever had opportunity to eat frogs legs or snails. Sauerkraut I've had occasionally on hot dogs, or with pork.

Seriously, those are the things you cite as "American food"? I can think of many other things more typical.

Oh no, you misunderstood (or I wasn't really clear for fear of being xenophobic), but other countries eat weirder stuff than us Brits.
American food is waffles for breakfast with maple syrup, burgers and grits (whatever they are!)

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and our other American members.

Oh yeah, and liver is disgusting, as is mint sauce.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed sourcrout is disgusting - if that's American, I need a new country - I know that ain't how you spell it, but it's so disgusting, I never really cared to learn how.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed sourcrout is disgusting - if that's American, I need a new country - I know that ain't how you spell it, but it's so disgusting, I never really cared to learn how.

Yeah, it's definitely an acquired taste. Can't say that it's ever been on my top ten, but having lived in "PA Dutch Country" for the better part of my life, it's unavoidable. There's actually a tradition in these parts of eating pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. Diners run specials on it and we're usually are invited to our friends' houses for it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the Germanic influence on the area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
How about jellied eel, mint sauce, and Liver?

LOL - agreed, some strange food choices over here (although I do like a bit of mint sauce...

Re the Pumpkin pie, I want to try it, but I also don't... My mum tried to make some pumpkin dish when I was younger and it was awful!!!

Now I can't believe how many people like it if it tasted so bad, so I'm guessing she plain got it wrong :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Being American born and bred Pumpkin Pie when done right is very tasty especially with
real whip cream on top don't knock it until you tried it. I tried liver once never again and
as for frog legs not happening.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You lot are weird.

I could see, how you wouldn't consider trying it. But that's like judging Cheese Cake by its name. One wouldn't really think of something good tasting coming from a pumpkin, but it's completely the opposite.

Wikipedia said:
The pie consists of a pumpkin-based custard, ranging in color from orange to brown, baked in a single pie shell, rarely with a top crust. The pie is generally flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only place I have seen Frog legs around here is at a Chinese/Japanese restaurant here. I tried them once but they don't really do anything for me. My Nieces say they taste like Chicken but to me not really.

Pumpkin Pie I love. When I was a kid my mom made her homemade pies every thanksgiving and Christmas. I also really love Lemon Meringue pie but it's been many years since anyone I know has made one.

Sourcrout I don't mind sometimes. I would not eat a Snail if you gave me a 64GB Ipad, Mac Pro and top MBP! :D

Bob, don't steal any of your wives pie! If she chops off your hand we will loose you as a moderator here! :D Grin

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being American born and bred Pumpkin Pie when done right is very tasty especially with
real whip cream on top don't knock it until you tried it. ...

And we even get the real whipped cream too. No Cool Whip today. "Uhmm, yummy."

and a sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans.

Thinking I might need to get the kids to come up and visit more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also really love Lemon Meringue pie but it's been many years since anyone I know has made one.

My absolute favorite dessert, and my mum still makes a mean Lemon Meringue any time we go there for dinner. It's essential, and I generally eat at least half of it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ladies and gentlemen... the bird is in the oven.... I repeat, THE BIRD IS IN THE OVEN!

I can almost taste it. Can't wait for the heavenly aroma to fill the house. Just got it all stuffed and brushed down with oil and seasoned. I love Thanksgiving.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.