Installing a new OS

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I've never updated an OS before on a Mac or PC.

Basically, at the moment I'm on Tiger 10.4.7 and I need to be on Snow Leopard.

If I install Snow Leopard from disc, will my existing applications need to be reinstalled following the install. If so I will have to check I still have the discs for Pro Tools and Logic Pro in particular.

Also, my Mac Pro has 2 hard drives so in this case, if the apllications would normally require a reinstall, could I copy them temporarily over to the secondary drive, install the OS on the main hard drive and then copy them back over>

Thanks,
Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
FWIW....I may be wrong, but I think you'll have to install Leopard before you can install Snow Leopard. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject can confirm/deny.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is no direct upgrade path from 10.4 to 10.6. You have to do a clean install.

What I would recommend is using SuperDuper to backup to an external drive or your secondary drive. Once that's done, boot from the 10.6 disc, use Disk Utility to erase your system disk and then do the 10.6 install.

You will be prompted during the initial boot to transfer files from 'another Mac'. Opt to do so and then point the Migration Assistant to your backup drive. All of your apps, settings and documents should get pulled right in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.